Unsolved History

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Terwilliger, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Anyone else watching this great program?
    I've seen the first three (I think), being:
    1. The Battle of Gettysburg
    2. The USS Maine
    3. Hitler's Bunker[/list=1]
      Each one I've found to be excellent, with my favorite being Gettysburg.
      Tonight's episode, concerning Hitler's Bunker, was very interesting. They showed some eerie photos taken by the East German Secret Police in 1972 of the bunker's interior. At that time, they had only destroyed the above ground portions and left the rest alone. It wasn't until later that they tried to destroy it totally.

2. AndyW

AndyW Agent

this program sounds very interesting. what channel is it on?

3. Todd Terwilliger

Andy,

It's on the Discovery channel every Wednesday night. I highly recommend it for anyone with an interest in history. They use today's advanced scientific techniques to try to resolve historical questions. The show gets a whole hour so they get to go in depth on the subject at hand.

4. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Sweet. I'm a history major so I'm definitly gonna check this program out. Thanks for the heads up...
    JQ

5. Todd Terwilliger

Jason,
    No prob. I love the program and just wanted to spread the word. Unsolved History's homepage is located here.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It is a cool show, I saw part of the Hitler Bunker and all of the USS Maine show. The only problem I can point out of the Maine episode is there was a lot of repitition. I'm guessing they couldn't fill up an hour effectively so they had to keep repeating what they said and retracing steps, etc... Still very cool way to reproduce history with computer graphics and video instead of the simple story-telling with still images.

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The thing that irritates me is that for some reason The Discovery Channel is not listing the programs as "Unsolved History" but rather as individually titled shows. I wanted to record it on Tivo, but couldn't find it. Finally, I scanned throught the guide pages and saw it was listed as "Inside Hitler's Bunker."
    Why would they do that? It is a series! [​IMG]

8. Todd Terwilliger

Brian,

I noticed the same thing on Time Warner's digital cable guide. I have no idea why they're titling the programs that way.

9. Todd Terwilliger

Another good episode, but not quite as strong as the first three. I think the issue I have is that they divided the hour into several sub-mysteries and, unlike in the previous episodes, rehashed existing research more than looking for something "new". Still, there was some very interesting material.

I am really looking forward to next week where they look at "Custer's Last Stand". It should be a fascinating show.

10. James_S

James_S Second Unit

I have seen all three also and I also must say the Gettysburg Pickett's Last was very well done. When the do the experiments with the cannons and guns it's interesting on how long it took the to load and fire, and on the cannons using anything including bolts and misc. stuff laying on the factory floor.
    I can't wait for the one on Custer's Last Stand also.

Also the other one to watch is The Murder of King Tut.

James

11. Todd Terwilliger

They're doing King Tut's murder too?

Talk about overkill - There have already been 2 shows on this topic in the past couple of months, the last being a rather high profile special on the same channel!

12. Jason Quillen

Last nights episode was pretty good. In my 411 class we had just extensivly gone over the assisination of Garfield by Guiteau so I already knew everything they said about that one. The other two cases were interesting though.
    They really talked a lot about Bell's invention of the metal detector for Garfield so I was surprised when they didnt mention the other big invention that was made for Garfield after he was shot. The first air conditioner was sucessfully made by the navy and installed in the White House becuase the summer Garfield was shot it was amazingly hot.
    It really is a pain that they label every show differently, though.
    JQ

13. Todd Terwilliger

Jason,

I did not know about the air conditioner. Very cool.

I can't understand why they label each show as if they were unrelated. I would think they'd want to increase the brand awareness of the show, not bury it. Go figure.

14. James_S

James_S Second Unit

15. Todd Terwilliger

Oh.

Yeah, I saw that one. It was okay but I thought they worked too much around trying to build whodunit tension.

16. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Tonight another episode: Custer's Last Stand

This is one that I have been waiting for.

James

17. Jason Quillen

When I went to record tonights show through TiVo, Tivo (finally) listed the show as "Unsolved History" instead of the weekly investigation name. Hopefully this is permanent. So now all you TiVo and Replay TV owners can sign up for a season pass instead of rembering to record it every week.
    JQ

18. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I watched the episode Custer's Last Stand a few weeks ago but missed a bit of it.
    This seems a repeat of an article in The Smithsonian - I think - about 10-15 years ago. They did the same research as was covered on the TV show. Probably that is where most of the material came from. The TV show said that there were several types of weapons for the calvary, but I remember the magazine article claiming that the guns the soldiers carried were innacurate to the point of being almost worthless. It claimed that few Indians were killed at all. The soldiers got very little target practice and without being able to sight in the guns, they were worthless. An inquiry after the battle lead the Army to address these issues.
    As after any war, the military stands down with weapons and training suffering.