What's new

Unshielded speakers next to RPTV (1 Viewer)

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I know that one is to keep unshielded speakers separated from a standard tube tv (1.5 feet minimum, I believe), but is there a minium distance an unshielded floorstanding speaker should be from a rptv? I was talking to one installer who said for a rptv one doesn't need that separation because the guns are far enough from the side of the cabinet to avoid any magnetic field effects. The rptv in question would be the 65" Mits (WS65819); looking to pick up a pair of B&W CDM 7NTs, but they aren't shielded, and I don't have enough room to move them out 1.5' from the cabinet.

Thanks for any input.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It really depends on the speaker. I have unshielded Monitor Audio speakers that are 6" from my RPTV with no ill effect. But if I move my Velodyne sub that close, the picture distorts.

M.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Michael. I am not thinking of putting a sub that close; I would think having a sub right next to the rptv could cause problems other than of magnetism (i.e. vibrations?).

PomingF

Second Unit
Robert, from what I understand RPTV's have their CRT's @ the bottom of the cabinet hence speakers with drivers mounted high enough away would not cause much problem but then who knows how 'high' is high enough for any particular speaker/TV combo makes your guess as good as mine. ;)
PF

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
At one point, I put my unshielded Paradigm Studio 100's right next to my 40H80, and it affected the convergence. I moved them out to about 6 inches, and the convergence was fine. So it's possible that you could have a problem, depending on the specific characteristics of the TV and the speakers...

Martin.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, all. Makes me feel better about getting the unshielded speakers. Now I can't wait for them to come in (SoundAdvice in FL is having a sale, $850 each for the CDM7NTs, or $150 off for each :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks