Unshielded Speakers near TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam J, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Adam J

Adam J Stunt Coordinator

I have an unshielded Sub. I know if magnets are too close to the TV they cause crazy color patterns, and if they stay there to long the patterns will stay permanently. My question is, if my sub is a foot and a half away from my TV, and everything looks fine with the picture, am I safe? Or is it the case that in the short term the magnet will not visibly damage the screen, but over time it may degrade the picture and cause permanant damage.

I guess my question is:

Is there a way to know for sure the unshielded speaker is a safe distance from the TV?

If not, then I will have to just go by the rule, "get it as far away as possible". Thanks in advance for replies.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    1.5ft sounds pretty close for a sub from the TV. I would move it a bit even though it may look ok. I believe it is better to be safe.

3. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Is it a downfiring sub and is the TV on a stand? If so it shouldn't be an issue at all. You will see "hot spots" on the screen, usually reds & greens" if the magnet is causing an issue. HTH...Mike

P.S. You could always take a magnet and slowly move it towards the screen to see what it looks like...just be careful.