Unshielded speakers and hard drives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Sollie, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Matt Sollie

Matt Sollie Auditioning

Hi guys.

My front speakers are Mini Monitors (which are unshielded). I am planning on putting the left speaker on top of some kind of audio rack/bookshelf (about 42" tall), and my equipment on the rack underneath (HK 220, Sony Tivo, and Xbox). The Tivo and Xbox both have Hard Drives.

My question is, will I have a problem having either the xbox or tivo about a foot away from the unsheilded speaker? and will the reciever cause any problems for the hard drives?

Thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hi Matte, welcome to the forum.

Interesting question. Since it is unanswered here, I will move to the "Computers and HTPC" area where someone there should be able to give you an answer.

3. Cave Canem

Cave Canem Auditioning

Im going to say that it would be a bad idea to put the speakers near anything that requires a magnet to hold info. Unless you can somehow sheild the HDD's from the speakers, you will take the chance of erasing your HDD's and losing whatever information you have stored there.

4. Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper Stunt Coordinator

I'd say it was a bad idea too. It won't neccessarily harm the drives at all, but it's not something I would want to risk.