Unscripted

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brent_H, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Isn't anyone watching this on HBO? Its about three semi-no-name actors trying to make it in Hollywood. Its actually very interesting...and addicting. hah. Like all reality TV of course....The first two episodes are okay, but now the last two that were on this past Sunday are really sucking me in. Actually, despite what the title of the show is, it really does seem scripted at times. Good stuff. Let's talk about it.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It is scripted. It's just made to look like a reality show. The people they use are real 'struggling' actors though. I guess George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh got in touch with their friends and so they could add a great layer of realism to the show.

3. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Oh boooo! I guess it was too good to be true. [​IMG]

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Actually, I think I may be wrong about it being 100% scripted. I think it's more like an improv. They have certain points that they know to hit but I don't think it's written out in the traditional sense. My mistake.

5. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

If you wanted a reality/documentary show based on this concept it has been done before on Bravo for a couple of seasons. It was called "The IT factor" I watched the first season which I enjoyed, but didn't like the 2nd season all that much. It was cool seeing Godfrey the 7-up guy audtioining for the role. Then a year later seeing all his commercials on TV.

6. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I just don't know why more people aren't talking about this on here??? Okay.

[​IMG]

7. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I wonder how the interactions with the 'real' celebs are worked out. It seems pretty clear that the on set stuff was just fly on the wall. And I think it's equally clear that the stuff like Hank Azaria busting on the guy at the card game for joking about Helen was scripted. And it stands to reason that the "uh, oh" moments, like getting caught fudging your resume are recreations of extra urban legends.

But like the bit with Mike O'Malley, was he actually attracted to the girl and they went back and recreated their small talk? Was it totally scripted? Or were they lucky enough to catch them hitting it off in real life?

Regardless, even if totally scripted, it is a fascinating set of story lines.

8. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

The whole thing with Mike O'Malley was fun to watch. It was great watching his uncomfortableness at the club where Jen was singing...haha Then as she proceeded to sing '...f*ck him up the ass' or whatever, he just got up and left. That was classic. However, I wish they did more followup on this. Maybe like getting a quote from Mike later on....but this is where I have to accept that its probably scripted and meant to happen this way. So I must be satisfied with that.

9. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

It's all plotted out, but not scripted (like Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm).

I'm enjoying it.

Jennifer Hall is really cute.

Bryan Greenberg's song in the first one ('I Sorta Have A Girlfriend') is catchy and I'd like to hear it again.

Wonder if Clooney's going to direct all nine parts (he did the first four so far).

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This must have been filming for the past 18 months or not longer. I was wondering when we'd see Brian's turn on One Tree Hill last season (playing "Jake" ironically enough), and then his character got the boot this season.

Some of the stuff makes you wonder how thin that line is between their real lives or recreations of other actor's experiences with rejection, and audition sniping, etc.

Plus, the whole cliche subplot with Krista doing the acting coach, Langella, does make you raise an eyebrow.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I finally watched episode 5 of this show. I never thought I'd ever hear Krista Allen rap about her Emmanuelle past, but there it was.

Does anyone know anything about the ABC show that Brian was locked into, which was used to explain why he had to depart from One Tree Hill in season 1? I guess that year has passed since he's back on the show now.

It makes you wonder how much of this show is real, and how much is scripted, where is that line?