What's new

Unsatisfied with my sound (3.1) (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I am in a situation where I need to use a 3.1 setup for a year or so (until I finish the basement) as I do not have any space behind the couch to have rear speakers.

I have been a little unsatisfied with the sound from my setup. Here's my rig:

TV: Toshiba TW40X81

Receiver: Yamaha RX V496

Dvd: Toshiba SD 5109

Speakers: PSB Alpha AV

Center channel: PSB Alpha AV

Subwoofer: PSB alpha sub-zero (big name for such a small sub!)

Anyways, what I think is missing from the experience is a set of front full-range speakers and possibly a better receiver.

Budget: Let's say $us 1300 for speakers, $us600 for receiver.

I feel like I'm missing out on the "full spectrum of sounds" with my current setup.

Am I missing out on a lot by not having rear speakers ? I think I do, I just don't know by how much.

Thanks!

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
With Dolby Digital, my understanding is that the surrounds are recommended for the side walls, not the rear. Does this help any? I would somehow try to add the surrounds, even if they are on end tables facing up.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Salut François!

I don't know your equipment specifically, but I found that the biggest improvement I had in my home theater was my subwoofer, not my rear speakers.

however, you already have a sub. I tell myself that our ears are made to listen to sound coming from the front. so you absolutely have to have terrific, full sound coming from the front, while the rear is less important, as you won't hear as much sound coming from it, and you won't be able to discern small differences between rear speakers.

having said that, actually having rear speakers will make a really big difference in your system. the sound will be more enveloping, and your room will feel more spacious.

therefore, I would wait until you are able to afford better, bigger, full-range speakers up front, and move the ones you have in front to the rear. that way you have the best of both worlds.

with the kind of budget you have, you can get very good speakers, but the receiver will be lacking. I think i would smooth out the difference, i.e. spend more on the receiver ($800) and less on speakers ($1100).

that is, of course, only my humble opinion, I encourage opthers to post theirs. oh, and francois, feel free to contact me to tell you what would be a good price in our region for the gear you want. my store doesn't carry PSB, but we do carry a bunch of good receivers. i'll tell you what is a good deal or what you can expect to find in a store.

John Stegman

Auditioning
I use B&W DM302 mains and matching centerspeaker with an Alpha subsonic5 and find the sound very enjoyable. I believe that the B&Ws are similar to your Alphas, so I would think that maybe its the smaller sub that is the culprit. I do have an HK upper midprice receiver so that is also something to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks