Unreleased Nirvana Surfaces

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Graeme Clark, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The studio version of You Know You're Right, which is the Nirvana song that there's been some controversy over Courtney not releasing, has managed to surface on the net.

You should be able to find it from your usual sources, but it may take a couple tries as there are live versions and a number of covers (Hole in fact did a version of it for Unplugged).

It's pretty cool.

2. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

I got hold of this last night and I am loving this track. It is bittersweet, though, because I think the track demonstrates some of the pain/conflict that Cobain was feeling at the end. Actually, in my opinion, the song seems to reference Cobain's difficult marriage and the problems people say he was having with it at the end. Of course, I have no conclusive proof of this, so it remains just an opinion. I'd love to hear other thoughts on the song.
    Anyway, the track is classic Nirvana. I'm glad to finally hear the clean studio version after years of listening to a muddy, poorly recorded live version from 1993. When this track gets released with the "new" Nirvana record at the end of this year I think it will make quite a splash.
    By the way, it looks like Courtney Love and the surviving members of Nirvana have settled all of their differences/lawsuits. You can read about it here:
    http://www.billboard.com/billboard/d...ent_id=1705404

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep, I was planning to post about the Love/Nirvana settlement this weekend. Courtney was on Stern this week, and said some Nirvana material would be in stores by Christmas.
    So, since I have not paid any attention to this nonsense while Courtney was dragging her feet-- what can we expect to see on this set? Are they planning to compile the older rare stuff as well as new stuff? What studio tracks are floating around without a release?
    -Vince

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

It's supposed to be on the Greatest Hits CD which will be released this fall.

5. Paul Case

Yeah, retailers have received a release schedule from Universal indicating that the Nirvana release will be a greatest hits CD with the previously unreleased recording of "You Know You're Right" included. This is one of the main things Courtney Love was fighting for in court since she feels a single disc with the new song will sell much, much more than a multi-disc box set. I imagine we will still see the box set at some point next year, but it looks like it will be a while coming yet.

Personally, I hate the idea of a Nirvana greatest hits compilation. I think Kurt Cobain would probably have disliked the idea. Then again, who knows? I'll still be buying it, though...

6. Graeme Clark

7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of Miss Love. Anybody see the 24 hours of Courtney crap on MTV Deux this weekend. I cant put into words how much i dislike her , but now that the whole Nirvana thing is settled , she can go back under that rock where she came from.

The new song is amazing, but sure to be Teen Spirited on the radio , so ill hate it before i can actually buy it on cd. Did Nirvana actually have enough released singles to have a Greatest Hits cd?. Hopefully a song like D-7 or Oh , The Guilt would make it on there.

Any thoughts on non singles that should make it on a cd?.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I was always hoping for a remastered box set of everything they did. Maybe not this Christmas though... [​IMG]

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't much care for courtney either.
    I didn't mind live through this, but probably only because of kurt's influence on it, you could hear a little bit of him here and there.
    I really can't stand her now.

10. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I can't see buying a single disc greatest hits in order to have one new song. Hopefully, they do something similar to what "Smashing Pumpkins" did and have a 2-disc set with the 2nd disc containing only B-Sides & Rarities.

If they end up only releasing a single disc, I'll wait for boxset. I think Nirvana's music is best listened to in an album context. I've been listening to "In Utero" a lot lately.

I'm getting really tired of buying new hits compilations that contain one or two rare tracks, or are slightly revised from an earlier hits compilation. Has anybody else noticed that they always leave one track off of new hits compilations that was on the original? I recently have upgraded my single disc greatest hits of The Commodores, Parliament, & Tom Petty with two disc sets. All of these 2-disc sets were missing one song that was on the original single disc. The only set that I can think of where they didn't try to screw the fans was the new Cure greatest hits. I hate having to keep a CD around for 1 or 2 songs. I don't have the space!!

11. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

12. Graeme Clark

Heard You Know You're Right on the radio this morning. I guess it has begun.

I'm sure it'll take the place of I Am Mine as the top requested song pretty soon.

13. Paul Case

Apparently the song was being played like crazy yesterday on the radio. A couple of stations (in Seattle and Boston, I believe) were playing it every hour on the hour. Stations in New York and Atlanta were playing it until they received official Cease and Desist letters from the record label. The New York station posted the letter on their website. [​IMG]
    Anyway, it looks like the song is popular already. It's out there in the mainstream now, whether Courtney Love likes it or not...

14. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Wow! That is a great great song! It is hard listening to it though, thinking about what could have been...
    I wouldn't mind buying both a greatest hits CD and a box set release. Now that the court business is over, maybe we can see some Nirvana on DVD. I would love to replace my worn out VHS copy of 'Live Tonight Sold Out'. It would be great to see Nirvana's Unplugged performance and their music videos on DVD as well.
    **fingers crossed**

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I will definitely be looking for a Nirvana greatest hits CD. Buying a Nirvana CD would bring back great memories of my junior year in college (1991), when I bought every Nirvana CD I could find.

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

There are also a lot of B-sides and songs that were on tribute albums (Kiss, The Wipers, Velvet Underground) not to mention numerous radio shows that will wind up on the box set.

A friend of friend whom I've lost touch with taped Nirvana when they played our dorm back in 1989 at Evergreen. I hope he kept it.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

18. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I was in college during the early 90's as well, so listening to this brings back some fond memories. I'd love to see some unreleased stuff see the light of day on CD.

19. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I thought everyone would like to know that the cover art to the Best of Nirvana album has hit the web, along with a tentative release date of Nov 12th. You can read the article and see the cover here.
    I really like the cover. And Nov 12 will really be a good day for fans of grunge - the new PJ also streets that day, and I've heard nothing but good things.
    JQ

20. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

So the new record is Greatest Hits and one new track?

So what's the proposed track list:
    Smells like teen spirit
    come as you are
    lithium
    in bloom (? they released a video, but don't think it was a "hit")
    heartshaped box
    all apologies (unplugged?)

I mean what songs cracked the top 40?