What's new

Unreleased Christmas Specials on DVD. (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
You're not alone on that Richard Williams A Christmas Carol. I wish we knew what Mr. Williams thought about issue. I know he wrote the Animators Survival Guide a While back. I know some writers/directors help in getting some of their older work released.

Mr. Williams really deserves more recognition that what he's received.

James

Mitchell_H

Auditioning
James,

Although the original 1951 telecast of Amahl, starring Chet Allen, is not commercially available, the 1955 version, with Bill McIver, was released about three years ago by VAI. It is a wonderful opera, and considering the age of the footage, it's in very good shape. There is also a terrific interview with Rosemary Kuhlmann, who played Amahl's mother throughout the 50s until the new production in (I believe) 1963. An interesting sidenote: with the exception of the boy singer playing Amahl (who changed periodically, due to voice changes), the entire rest of the cast: his Mother, the Three Kings, and the Page - remained the same throughtout the run of that original production. It was the new production in 63 that earned NBC the eternal wrath of Menotti.

As far as new productions, when I was researching my article on Amahl over at TV Party, I came across some info that the BBC had done a new production in 2002, but it never aired once the producers found out they "did not have, and could not secure, the rights." What does "could not secure" mean? According to the Guardian, "The screen rights to Menotti's best-known work, which is often performed in schools, are held by an American company, Schirma, which plans to make its own film of the opera and will not sanction another version." My guess is that until and unless that comes along, we won't see a new televised version. A pity, because we could use something with that simplicity and beauty.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thankyou Mitchell!!! I still remember my family watching the show. Thankyou so much for checking that out. What a great PBS Holiday Special it would make if things were ironed out. Happy Holidays to you Sir!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Richard Williams Christmas Carol just came out!!! The dvd is listed under Chuck Jones and talks of the Oscar and Richard Williams. I received an email only moments ago and I quickly placed my order. You may purchace the dvd from http://www.monstersinmotion.com You can also place an order by phone. 714-577-8863 They promise to ship to you before Christmas.

Thankyou again Mitchell for the Amahl info and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
ANDY HARDY FILM MARATHON ON TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES DECEMBER16th thru Decmber 17th starting from last to first of this great film series.

I know this does not come under unreleased Christmas but it is a gift to me. I love this series!!! I saw it reported earlyer in the Forum but thought a reminder might help. I also received confirmation this week that the Christmas Carol we have all been seeking has been shipped out to me.

Happy Holidays to All !!!!

Elena S

Supporting Actor
The best Christmas movie I've ever seen aired in 1987, called "The Three Kings." It starred Lou Diamond Phillips and Jack Warden, and aired ONCE! on ABC. They never even re-ran it. I would kill to have that one on DVD, especially since I haven't seen it since the original airing.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Let's not forget "The Gathering," which won the 1977 Emmy for Outstanding Special and was nominated for lead actress (Stapleton), directing, writing and art direction. It has an eye-popping TV star cast -- Edward Asner, Maureen Stapleton, John Randolph, Gregory Harrison, Veronica Hamel, Lawrence Pressman, Stephanie Zimbalist, Edward Winter, Bruce Davison, Gail Strickland, etc. It's been remastered and is on sale for $19.95 from Warner Archive, and comes with the sequel though "Part 2" isn't remastered.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Elena S

The best Christmas movie I've ever seen aired in 1987, called "The Three Kings." It starred Lou Diamond Phillips and Jack Warden, and aired ONCE! on ABC. They never even re-ran it. I would kill to have that one on DVD, especially since I haven't seen it since the original airing.

Hope you find it Elena. Best wishes-- I know how frustrating it can be for that ONE favorite Christmas special not to make it out on DVD, and than sadly, you're the only one who knows about it, when you talk about it to your friends.

There was a new Christmas special that came out from Disney last year, and it was replayed this year, but I still haven't seen it at the stores, it was "Prep and Landing," about the elves who make sure Santa's trips go alright. There was also a 8 minute new sequence involving Prep and Landing that premired last week. Pity it's not out on digital.

James

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wonder if they will release the Star Wars Christmas special even though I would pass on that one. I wished they had included the I Love Lucy Merry Christmas to the fans in the first year in the DVD set and is included now in the Best of I Love Lucy just released. I watch the color version of 1956 Christmas epsiode every year.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, here it is 2011 and still no word on the 1966 A Christmas Memory!! What gives? BTW, George Lucas has officially stated that if he had a chance he'd destroy every copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special, which is probably the most 'shoe-limbed' TV special ever! Apparently he was too busy filming The Empire Strikes Back when he let Joe Layton produce that show. Mind you, Layton was a Broadway and TV veteran who won Emmys making Barbra Streisand's legendary CBS specials in the 60s and director Steve Binder was responsible for both The T.A.M.I Show and Elvis Presley's 1968 special, but here both misfired, trying to turn the whole franchise into a Vegas revue. The inclusion of Diahann Carroll, Harvey Korman, and Beatrice Arthur (who provides some geniunely funny moments) proves this.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Funny that you mentioned Steve Binder. When I think of Binder, I also think of the man who worked with Paul Reubens on seasons 2 and 3 of Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I second this. I would love to have this in my collection this holiday season! [/quote] Would love to see "It Happened One Christmas" with Marlo Thomas. I actually saw this made-for-TV-movie before I knew that Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" even existed! The last time I saw this was during it's original broadcast back in 1977. I will have to third this vote . Nice redo of It's a Wonderful Life .

I was wrong! The 1974 Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus is on dvd! A smaller company released it and you can get it on Amazon.

greg.shoemaker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
I've would like to see the Muppet Christmas Special with John Denver available on DVD or Blu-ray. It's never been on video in any format. Miss Piggy does a great version of the 12 Days of Christma with some of the other members of the ensemble. Great sets, too!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
borisfw said:
I second this. I would love to have this in my collection this holiday season!
Would love to see "It Happened One Christmas" with Marlo Thomas. I actually saw this made-for-TV-movie before I knew that Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" even existed! The last time I saw this was during it's original broadcast back in 1977. I will have to third this vote . Nice redo of It's a Wonderful Life .[/quote] I remember that TV/movie remake as well. I haven't seen it in many years. I'd get that one if available as a studio release
wi94bd.jpg

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Jeff Willis said:
Would love to see "It Happened One Christmas" with Marlo Thomas. I actually saw this made-for-TV-movie before I knew that Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" even existed! The last time I saw this was during it's original broadcast back in 1977. I will have to third this vote . Nice redo of It's a Wonderful Life .
I remember that TV/movie remake as well. I haven't seen it in many years. I'd get that one if available as a studio release
wi94bd.jpg
[/quote] HBO ran this movie in the early 1980s. I'd also like to see the 1974 Made-for-TV Version of Miracle on 34th Street on DVD as well. Even though the Originals of both movies SMOKE them! :laugh:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I was just thinking about this thread the other day. I'm surprised that someone else resurrected it. My votes: The Great Santa Claus Switch (with Art Carney). Believe it or not, it's on youtube. Noel (with Charlton Heston) The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas The Gift of the Magi (the Marie Osmond version) The Night Before Christmas (sixties version, not the Rankin Bass version) Silent Night (Olan Seoule version in the credits) The Littlest Angel (with Johnny Whittaker) and a few versions of a story we're already way. . . . way. . .. familar with. A Christmas Carol (the Richard Williams version that won an Oscar that everyone loves)--still not in DVD A Christmas Carol (the Australian seventies animated version that ran on CBS every Saturday for about ten years). It's been critically panned, but the music sticks in my head. It would have been nice if some of these programs had made it out on DVD this holiday season, but I guess no one remembers them besides us. There's something about these older programs that have (IMHO) more heart than today's, more politically correct stuff. I always find it interesting that some cartoons become classics and others become forgotten. That's not fair. James

I have a huge collection of Christmas specials...almost all of them. I still need the ones mentioned on dvd, but I have them on vhs.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Me-TV is running Christmas specials on Thanskgiving and Black Friday - many of these titles I'm not familiar with or haven't seen in quite a while. The Mister Magoo version of "The Christmas Carol" is on Friday @ 10A Eastern. http://metvnetwork.com/schedule.php?date=11/24/2011 http://metvnetwork.com/schedule.php?date=11/25/2011

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks