What's new

Unreleased Christmas specials on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Was this the one that ran for one hour? I loved that special. It was the best version of the book.

I would also like to see "Yogi's First Christmas", "Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper" and "Casper's First Christmas."

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Jones's A Very Merry Cricket is a fantastic holiday special from the early 1970's...wonderful, unusual animation. Hope it comes to dvd.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
While not technically a christmas special, the first time I saw Final Descent (1997) air was at christmas time. What's the hold up on this one!? It never got VHS or DVD release. :frowning:

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I know I may be dating myself here, but how about a DVD release of some of the great TV Christmas Specials of the past.
When I was a kid Christmas didn't seem complete until I watched a Bing Crosby, Red Skelton or Bob Hope Christmas special.

mdippy78

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hey James,

I know the 1969 animated Christmas Carol was released on VHS by Diamond Entertainment Corp. in 1994. I know, that's the copy i got, and was released on DVD in 2003. Unfortunately, Diamond Entertainment changed business earlier this year and are gone. However, that DVD has got to be out there somewhere. I know they had copies at CDUniverse, but are out of stock and can't get anymore copies.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm still surprised there hasn't been a DVD combining the two animated holiday specials adapted from the long-running B.C. comic strip:

B.C.: THE FIRST THANKSGIVING (1973)
B.C.: A SPECIAL CHRISTMAS (1981)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Oh come on now: If 'The Star Wars Holiday Special' were ever to receive a legitimate DVD release it would be a HUGE seller. It would possibly lead to the largest outbreak of "buyer's remorse" in human history but it would still be a huge seller. ;)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I really wish the two B.C. Holiday specials would come out. In particular, because they're the only animated version of the comic stip out there.

--bump!.

JamesSmith

Any others out there.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see a 1987 TV special entitled, "Julie Andrews: The Sound of Christmas". The show, filmed entirely in Austria, featured Andrews, Placido Domingo, and John Denver. Not only was the music great, but the scenery, wonderful. Surely do wish this would come out on DVD.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
I remember HALLMARK doing some great Christmas specials, like STUBBY PRINGLE'S CHRISTMAS, a western with Beau Bridges and a great cast of western veterans. Too lazy to check the IMDB at the moment, but I think it aired in the late 70's-early 80's. That would be nice to see again.

When the Hallmark Channel was first announced I expected them to show some of their vintage television specials dating back to the 50's, perhaps in a weekly retro showcase. Instead we get endless repeats of WALKER TEXAS RANGER or Hallmark made-for-tv dreck from the past 15 years only. Why even call it the Hallmark Channel if it has so little to do with the original Hallmark brand and incarnation on television and instead aims no higher than being a repository for ad nausea reruns of MURDER, SHE WROTE?

I also remember a very downbeat tv movie called SILENT NIGHT, LONELY NIGHT starring Lloyd Bridges and Shirley Jones that would be shown on local late night stations around the holidays in the Christmas starved programming for locals during the mid to late 70's. At that time if it wasn't one of the film versions of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, they never seemed to have much. The marathons of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE really didn't start until the early 80's.

While technically not a Christmas story, PBS would usually serve up an annual holiday showing of Paul Gallico's THE SNOW GOOSE starring Richard Harris and Jenny Agutter. That would be nice to see again.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Another that I would like to see is the 1974 animated Yes Virginia, There is A Santa Claus.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The world would be a better place if "The Great Santa Claus Switch" were released on dvd. It was technically a special episode of the Ed Sullivan Show, but it featured Art Carney as Santa and the Muppets. I don't think it's been seen in 40 years. Here's the imdb link, and a short article about this lost classic:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445979/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks