Unreal Tourny 2004 Demo Released

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott Bourden, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

UT2004 demo was released late last night, adds vehicles and a few extra game modes.

I've spent a few hours with it, if you enjoyed the previous versions, then the vehicles are a lot of fun, but if you have never been a fan of the UT franchise, I doubt it will change your mind.

It is about 210 megs.

A list of mirrors to download it are here:

http://www.atari-webcenter.com/frien...oad_page&id=20

2. Scott Bourden

I can't believe there is no interest in this title, in Onslaught mode, the vehicles are a blast, worth trying at least.

I hope the local PC gamers have not gone the way of the dodo [​IMG]

Here is a picture I took earlier, when I grabbed the vehicle, it personalized for me [​IMG]

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/UT20041.jpg

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Don't know why I skipped over this thread, maybe because I have to see the letters UT together, otherwise I'm thinking of Unreal II. [​IMG]

I grabbed the demo yesterday and I'm having a blast in Onslaught with all these vehicles. Very reminiscent of Halo! I just need to play with people that are more helpful because getting 2+ people in some vehicles is very effective.

Only problem I have is with all the action going on it's hard to make out on my 15" lcd. [​IMG] I wonder how it's like on a 21" CRT.

4. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I love it, and can't wait. The DVD version is only $40 now, with an included headset from Logitech.

I had been looking forward to playing Halo 2 online with the vehicles, but now not really. UT 2004's vehicles and gameplay modes are very well done.

I didn't like the pacing of UT2003, and missed the Assault mode. Pacing seems to have been slowed down a bit again, closer to the original UT. The announcer is really well done again as well. UT2004 feels more like a true successor to the original UT then last years poor version. The amount of content its going to come with is staggering as well, including all of the maps and modes from UT2003 as well.

5. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I'll need a new HD before I get this one... 6 CDs or a DVD?! Yikes...

I haven't actually played the demo in a few days since I picked up Mafia and was messing around with the Max Payne 2 and Painkiller Demos... but I don't remember hearing an announcer.

Brian

6. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Just got my hands on the demo this weekend...didn't put it on my machine, but on my friends alienware and huge flat screen tv that it hooks up to- and wow...this game was really great...i mean...its only a demo..and it was spectacular IMO. i def. am putting this up towards the top now...comes out next coupla weeks? Right?

7. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I've spending more time on it now....actually did about 4 hours last night. Cool vehicles, neat weaponry and they got teamtalk too. Now if only I could fly that thing properly...all I know is to fly forward, backward, left, right and up...can't seem to find the down button.

8. Scott Bourden

Eric, down is the same as crouch, but you won't really decend well unless you are moving forward or backwards while holding the crouch button to drop.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I've had the Demo since it came out and I've preordered the DVD. Would love to put a group of players together from the HTF either for the Demo or actual game when it's released in a few weeks...

10. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

What one are you trying to fly...I checked out onslaught (i think thats the name) last night and let me tell you...that manta was a bit challenging at first.

are you guys playing solo or with other gamers right now. i have been doing the "action now" or something like that and everytime play with someone named Tamika..so thats not live...unless she plays 24/7 ha!!

anything come with the pre-order? might just have to check out getting it on DVD i think.

11. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I think the jump and duck buttons make the flying vehicle go up and down.

Brian

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    DVD comes with a headset

13. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Hey thanks for the heads up on "flight manuevers". This game looks like a definite buy for me. An HTF group ought to be made right now guys!

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well i downloaded the demo (which runs surprisingly well at 1024x768, lowest graphic settings on my lowly GeForce2GTS)...

Ive only played on slaught mode... its cool, but i have NO IDEA what is going on...

Can somebody give me a quick and dirty rundown on the workings of this mode?

What i have picked up so far is that you try to destroy the power generators, and build untaken generators...

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

What you need to do is focus on the map in the corner of the screen. Red has a base, blue has a base. At each base there is a power core which you have to destroy but there is a shield around it.

In order to disable the shield you have to create a pathway on the map from yor base to the opponents'. The way to do this is by taking over the nodes that will make the connection piece by piece. To control a node:

1) First a member of your team has to occupy it
    2) Once you control the node it has to fully charge to create a pathway
    3) To speed up the charge aim your link gun at the center and right click fire your beam
    4) If the node is already taken over by the other team destroy the core that's floating in mid air

Once enough nodes are captured their HQ core will be exposed and all your team should move in and shoost the hell out of it. Talk about a crazy mode.

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I LOVE the Manta! Nothing like whipping through a crowd of enemy players with the alt-fire held down. Mmmm roadkill heaven! Ah... *memories of carmageddon flood my pleasure centers*

Oh, and the Manta can dodge pretty well..just hit jump for a quick hop, and double-jump for really big bunny-defying pogo action!

17. DaveB

DaveB Stunt Coordinator

This is one of the best demo's I have played in ages. Epic to me is one of the elite developers in the world.

I was a huge fan of the original, but didn't get much into UT 03. I think I'll have to pick this one up though.

Aside from the absolutely awesome Onslaught mode, the return of the Assault mode is also excellent.

Have we managed to get together an HTF group yet? The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

David

18. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Oh wow..I love reading through here and getting tips, i have been trying to figure out what gun to use to charge up the power node. if you don't have that it takes for ever and keeps getting taken back by the other team. and as i play more, i like the manta...you say nothing like flying holding alt-fire..i say nothing like vehicular manslaughter!! (just kidding)