Unreal Tournament goes GOLD

Alex Spindler

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I don't believe I will ever forgive them for labeling their new weapon Avril...

But I'll be picking it up.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
AVRiL = Anti-Vehicle Rocket Launcher

And I'll be picking it up also.

David

BrianB

Producer
Senior HTF Member
It means they've produced a "gold master" for duplication - no more code changes, no more art changes, it's off to get manufactured & shipped to retail.

NickSo

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
where does the 'i' come from?

I played the demo, VERY fun in onslaught mode (havent even played the other modes hehe)

Kami

Screenwriter
Waiting for my local store to get this. Hopefully it comes in tuesday. I want the DVD version too so I don't have to swap 6 freakin CDs!

SarahG

Second Unit
I am getting this tomorrow. Is there enough interest on here to start an Offical UT2K4 thread.....for personal reivews and tips, etc??

Max Leung

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Anyone get theirs early? I've read comments on Bluesnews form people who got their SE edition yesterday!

SarahG

Second Unit
EBGames by me did not get it until 9PM last night...too late for me to get there in time....

oh well..getting it tonight..

BTW...have you checked out the scores for it?

Gamespy - 5/5
IGN - 9.4/10
Gamespot - 9.4/10

Alex Spindler

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Picked mine up from EB Games yesterday. I had to go to one a bit out of the way, but I checked in Best Buy and they also had some copies.

Didn't have the special edition, but I wasn't going to sneer at a $10 version of the game. Plus, they have a pretty handy way of dealing with the number of CD-ROMs they have to give you.

First impression, Onslaught has some especially large maps to work with. Of the ones I played, they had some nice flat territories, some with a much greater degree of Z-axis action than Torlan, and some that were just so large that a vehicle is the only reasonable way to get to the next node. It was just too far to run (or hop jump). I would expect that it will be considered very bad form not to provide a ride on a Manta given these maps.

Overall, seems to be very polished. Very close to the demo, although I noticed that the maps loaded slower in the full version (even Torlan).

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I've heard some reports that people have been receiving copies of this that don't have the CD key included?

Alex Spindler

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Mine was underneath the clear plastic hub holding the install CD. Were they looking there or in the manual like they did with UT2003?

Max Leung

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Beware, Canadians and other non-US residents (except Germany and the UK?)...the rebate only applies to US residents.

Grrrrrrr. Ce sont des conneries!

(at least, that is what everyone else in canada who has a copy is reporting - WTF - why bother slapping in a rebate form if it isn't going to work then?)

Max Leung

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I have my SE version here...yep, rebate says "US Residents Only", clearly contradicting the official Atari press release for the game, where the rebate is "North America wide".

Naturally, I complained loudly on the atari forums...

SarahG

Second Unit
I just downloaded and played for about an hour

(oh..my CD key was under disk one in the cardboard sleeve...no problems there)

lets just say that the maps are sweet. I played Onslaught in the artic territory one. The verticle rises and snow, etc made it freaking amazing and added a lot of challenge. This is 1000 times better than the demo. I am taking a quick break for lunch and going right back.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711