What's new

"Unreal" gas pricies (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
$1.07 in Southern Cal!
I'm curious as to what could be "bad" about low gas prices. I always felt that the price of gasoline was controlled by supply and demand (free-market capatilist that I am), and the current low prices seem to justify that. I mean, who could seriously accuse the gas companies of "gouging" consumers with >$2.00/gallon gas prices, and then a few months later voluntarily halving gas prices! I find that preposterous.
I also think low gas prices can have no adverse effects (except for increased pollution, where I think reasonable goverment controls are appropriate). As long as the price of gas is allowed to fluctuate with supply and demand, with no artificial caps (set by government) or minimums (set by industry collusion or government subsidies) , the price will reflect the current supply against how much people want it. Can we run out? No. Or shall I say, can we run out? If we did, no one would care! Why? Here's why:
As the supply of gas gets shorter, the price of gas goes up. That makes it more profitable to refine more gas, so there will be more gas refined, increasing the supply and stabailizing the price, in addition to people taking measures to use less gas (as has happened this year!).
If the real supply of gas ever approached 0, the price of gas would increase proportionally (and infinitely). (That's why diamond miners don't unearth all the diamonds they can, they just produce enough diamonds to keep the industry supplied at a profitable rate.) As happened, people would naturally seek alternate forms of energy for their cars. (That's why electric cars have such a hard time catching on. Gas is so much cheaper and better, for now!) Restated: As the supply of gas grows smaller, there will be a gradual, painless, and profitable migration to alternate forms of fuel. It will happen naturally, with no encouragement from the government needed, let alone government research or grants. Some people may wish to hurry this process along by force, but there is no need to.
As long as our environment is protected by reasonable measures, a steady supply of gasoline priced to reflect supply and demand can only help our economy grow, and raise our standard of living.
Cheers, and no, I don't work in the auto/oil industry.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
My understanding is that in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, we are right on the shipping pipeline, and that is why ours is always the lowest. Problem is, I have to drive 25 miles each way to work, like most people here, and we use alot, so I'm sure the demand has something to do with it, as well.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
We are looking at $3.78l = 1 U.S. gallon.

1 l in Canada cost about 30cents U.s.

about $1.10 here ....up to about $1.30 depending on the market ... yeah right

Brent L

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
It was 90 or 91 cents here in Oklahoma City today, cant remember which as a cute blonde was just walking out as I was driving by.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
76.9-Buford/Suwanee GA!

Yup, its a sweet spot alright. I filled up this morning for 79 cents. Looks like there are several HTF members in this area.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
You bastards up North. I dont get it! We're at .95-.99 right now. I shouldn't be complaining at all!
I want a Motorcycle

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Still holding pretty steady here. Of course Butte is a lot closer to the oil refinerys. :)
Jon

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Last year I was able to get a gallon for 65 cents US. Of course there was a bit of a price war then with arco and their bully boy tactics.

Aaron

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
today I got regular gas at Shell in Fort Lauderdale...
$1.09 a gallon... no complaining here :D

Alan K

Agent
99.9 cents/gallon today. I haven't seen it go below a buck a gallon in Los Angeles since about '95.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just visiteed a friend in Seal Beach and had to fill up at the Chevron despite having 1/3 of a tank left:

0.99 for 87 octane--at a Chevron! I can't remember the last time I saw gas for under a buck at a Chevron in So-Cal.

Of course I paid $1.06 since I buy mid-grade 89, but still!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
$.99 in Fort Worth right now. i live in San Antonio and it's been down to ~$.86/gal recently. i remember one time about 2-3 yrs back it got down to $.78/gal! :eek:

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
It's now down to $0.969 in sunny Melbourne, Florida. I'd be interested to know what gas peaked at around the country. It was $1.50 here a year ago.

E

Eric Kahn

Diesel is $1.59 down the street from my house where gas is $1.09
at the truck stop in KY diesel is $1.02
guess where I get mine:)
Sorry, I have a Diesel VW

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member