Unrated return of the living dead 3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stephen^wilson, Jul 8, 2002.

1. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if there are any plans to release the unrated version of return of the living dead 3 on dvd?I just bought the film and was annoyed when it turned out to be the r-rated version,especially when they kept mentioning the unrated version in the commentaries.I know that VIDMARK released the unrated version on laserdisc.

2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I haven't heard any plans as of yet. It's a shame too, espcially in the commentaries when the participants suddenly realize they're watching the hacked up R-rated cut. I've seen the unrated version on VHS a while back and it's definitely much better.

I don't know, but if there's anyone who could make this happen.......it's Michael Allred!

3. stephen^wilson

I've got the pal dvd too,i got the region 1 dvd because it was in anamorphic widescreen and has the commentaries which the pal disc doesn't.

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

5. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

It would be one thing if all the previous releases were the original 'Rated R' cuts, but that isn't the case. It's not like the infamous Friday the 13th uncut version, which was only released on Japanese LD and a VCD somewhere. This unrated version was available in both VHS and laserdisc.
    I too bought the R1 DVD for the widescreen and the commentary. The extra footage only adds up to a few minutes of footage at best, but it's all GORE. And we horror fans watch these movies for the GORE!
    I actually posted a few screen shots from scenes that were cut in my review. See http://horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/rotld3/

6. stephen^wilson

The GORE,the merrier,that's what i say.On a similar note,is anyone else annoyed that MGM says the director of the first movie can do an unrated director's cut if the first release sells well!

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Didn't Michael Allred say that Lions Gate told him that they would release an unrated edition in the future?

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I think I remember hearing that at the time they were to release part 3, they didn't have the unrated rights for DVD distribution, but would get them in less than a year, and release the unrated version... that never happened yet...

9. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Lions Gate told me they didn't have the rights to release the unrated cut on DVD as well. So if it's a legal issue there isn't much that can be done.

However, I guess I'm one of the few where a few seconds here and there of gore being cut doesn't bother me much. The R rated version is pretty darn bloody as it is.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm not a gorehound, but the problem with the R-rated version is how bad the edits are. I haven't watched it in a while, but I think the scene where the cop is taken out is really poorly edited.

11. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

It's really a shame that the DVD is cut, because the print is absolutely beautiful(just look at the color and contrast in the last third, incredible). However, with or without the gore, it's still a very good film. Yes, it's obvious where the various edits were made(especially to horror fans like myself), but, as Michael mentioned, it's still very gory. I'm surprised they got as much as they did...