Unpopular or ugly people on tv....

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Sep 21, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just happened to see the cover for the show "Popular". And noticed that the girl who is the unpopular one is goodlooking. It made me think about all the shows that have geeky or unpopular people. And how most of the time they are good looking people just made to look bad. Another show I noticed was Lizzie McGuire. Yes, I know not a Emmy award winning drama. But, it was family tv time with my daughters and this is what they wanted to watch. Anyway, in the show Lizzie is made to be a dork and not popular. But, she is good looking and in one episode she wins a modeling competition and in another dates Frankie Muniz (playing Frankie Muniz). Maybe, things have changed since I was in school. But, if someone became a model or dated a celebrity they would be a big thing.

2. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Loved how they made fun of that in 'Not Another Teen Movie.' Everyone seeing Chyler Leigh as utterly repulsive because she; wore glasses, wore her hair in a ponytail, and wore baggy clothes.

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

If we want to see ugly people, that's what real life is for. [​IMG]

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Todd, I agree 100%.

I remember the freaks in high school, and none of them looked like Linda Cardellini. :b

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

That's funny, because that was my era (1st year of high school was 79-80) and I went to school with a "freak" (we called the "freaks" depicted in F&G's "burnouts") that looked and dressed just like Linda Cardellini, right down to the army jacket. Some of the hottest girls in school hung with some of the biggest slackers back then. I guess that's why that show rang so true for me.

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Actually, the show POPULAR was a satire of high school and high school shows, so that was part of the joke of the show. All of these "unpopular" kids were actually pretty bleepin hot... Even the "fat" girl played by Sara Rue was hotter than hell, and not so much fat, but more like a normal girl... as opposed to the twigs the rest of the women were.

I actually remember the actress who played Nicole wanted off of the show after a while because she got sick of trying ot look so thin, and her make-up artist once said to her "You know... you should watch your weight more..." and she was like a size 0...

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Entertainment is like that - they do a movie about Jane Goodall (the ape lady) , and get Sigourney Weaver to play the part [​IMG]

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Uh, that was Dian Fosse, not Jane Goodall, and she actually resembled Weaver a little bit. Weaver played her a bit younger than she was, but there were similarities. Fosse was killed by what is assumed to be poachers, Goodall is still alive.

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Yeah, Jane Goodall is still alive, running a diamond mine, last I heard.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Despite the crudeness of this thread's title (I am reluctant to pin the lable "ugly" on anyone and am loathe to make any sort of comments about any person's natural appearance), I applauded, in 1969, the short-lived NBC-TV series Then Came Bronson (the weekly travels of a former newspaper reporter on a Harley-Davison XLCH Sportster). Why? Because non-glamorous, "real people" characters dominated the series.

I see billboards and newspaper ads for the new fall shows, featuring their stars' mugs, male and female. And you know something? Everybody looks alike. The same symmetrical faces, honed to perfection. The only differences in their appearances is the color of their hair (or their hairstyle).

Talk about bland.

If Then Came Bronson ever comes to DVD -- unlikely -- check it out. Good, realistic drama featuring good, realistic-looking actors.

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

That's what I thought when I saw an ad for The Mountain. I was like "What he heck is that show even about? Must be about the 5 models on the poster."

One of the reasons I love the promotional art for LOST so much. The ones around NYC are pretty cool.

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Jack, you misinterpreted what I meant by my thread title. Which was my fault. I am not saying anyone is ugly. What I was saying that tv shows seem to have good looking people playing so called "ugly" or "unpopular" people.

ps-I noticed another show where this just happened. It was NBC's Medical Investigations. In the episode where the 4 school friends go into comas. The team meets with an unpopular girl who might have poisoned them. You could see she was a cute girl made to look plain.

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sorry for the misinterpretation, Todd. Woke up in a bad mood and posted a little strongly. I like the thread, though.

Robert, I think I saw that same ad on the side of a bus this morning. With all the beautiful people flocking to Hollywood over the decades and all the like-attracted-to-like breeding here, we're getting clone-like offspring.

Again, everybody looks the same -- their eyes, their noses, their mouths, their plastic surgeries ...

14. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Speaking of Jane Goodall's diamond mine, the Simpsons summed it all up perfectly when Moe tried out for a "gritty" part in a soap opera: I meant TV ugly, not ugly-ugly

15. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I apologize for my misconstruction of the Ape Lady example. Thanks for the info Jeff.

However, I believe the practice of biographic entertainment to substitute its formulaic rendition of beauty for the actual person's appearance is almost routine.

The word that comes to mind when I see what's passed off as "beautiful people" is clones. "Plastic fantastic lovers."

Vacant, boring.

That guy who plays Vaughan in Alias is a good example.

16. dowkontt

dowkontt Auditioning

Then Came Bronson is on DVD from WB Archive
    http://www.wbshop.com/Then-Came-Bronson-1969-TVM/1000123523,default,pd.html?cgid=ARCHIVENEW