Unpaid parking tickets?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So my college parking decal expired a while back and the price raised to $75 per semester... you get the picture. [​IMG]

After 1.5 years of hassle-free parking I finally got a ticket for $75. I'm about to graduate soon so I'm asking this out of curiosity... What happens if I don't pay it? I'm pretty sure my college's parking security system isn't connected to a national database.

I admit I am a cheap guy but I do plan on paying it, just wondering what kind of penalty is waiting for me if it remains unpaid, with me graduating and moving to a different state.

$75.00 -- that's like 6 DVDs!! [​IMG]

*imagines visiting 10 years later for reunion to have my car towed*

2. James Davis

James Davis Agent

I think here at my school, if a ticket is from campus police, there will be an encumberance on your record. If yours does it the same, you won't be able to register for classes til it is taken care of, which doesn't matter since you will be done.
    My experience of tickets comes from the city police though. I managed to get a ticket for parking too far off the side of my drive way into the yard, and another because I forgot I moved my car off the driveway and onto the street to let my roommate out. Since I was strapped for cash, those had to go ignored.

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Maybe it's just me, but I think you ought to pay it. You knowingly did the crime, now you should "do the time".

Basing whether you fess up or not to a wrongdoing on the likelihood of getting caught, to say the least, immature.

Lemme guess: political science grad? [​IMG]

Jon

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

At my school, they won't let you graduate if there are any outstanding tickets. This is strictly enforced and has screwed up the lives of many a cheap senior. I gave up wiggling out of campus parking tickets a long time ago. Their system is too good and all I wound up doing was paying late fees on top of the initial fines.

5. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

My wife did not receive her diploma due to unpaid traffic tickets. She graduated, but the university wouldn't send her the sheepskin until she paid them.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    That's what I was thinking, they could hold your diploma until they get paid. I got a parking ticket once while playing tennis at a local college (now university). Since I wasn't a student, I wasn't going to pay but looking at the ticket, they messed up my license plate and put 4-door BMW so I simply sent them a letter saying BMW makes alot of different 4-door cars and the license plate was wrong so they simply replied with a letter saying I was excused.

Jay

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    The school may have an appeals process, where you can request the first ticket to be forgiven (and it sounds like this is your first parking ticket).

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

9. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

At my school, in order to receive your diploma your "bursar bill" had to be $0. Tickets given while on campus counted toward that bill.

See if there is an appeal, if not pony up.

Pretty crappy for me, but they managed to keep your car on file, so after I graduated I still picked up a couple tickets while visiting. Geez.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    More importantly they may not send transcripts when you are out looking for a job......

12. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

From a "we can screw you if you don't pay" standpoint, I'd pay the ticket.

However, I totally disagree with this:

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ryan,

That's utter nonsense, and you know it. A parket ticket is just what it is: a fine. No one is served better by having all wrongly parked cars towed away, so "we", the citizens, made it possible to issue a ticket instead.

It's as simple as that. And yes, the income is part of the tax system too. If it wasn't there, taxes had to be higher.

No about if I would pay if I could wriggle myself out of it.... [​IMG]

Cees

14. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ryan,

It's definitively more than a revenue stream. It's a "punishment" and as such an aid to help people make the right decision by taking some profit away from doing certain things that favour only oneself or at least: the things that are legally prohibited.

And you had a vote. Not immediately, probably, but the way the democracy works. I don't think I need to go into that.

Cees

16. MarkHastings

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

18. MarkHastings

19. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson

20. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Really? What if they're blocking traffic or a handicapped space? What if it was in the fire lane in front of the building? The cars of people who park there need to be towed. Not as punishment or mere enforcement of rules, but for traffic or public safety reasons.