Unpacking my SVS

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BrianMe, Jun 19, 2003.

1. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

I was on vacation when the Big Brown Truck came on Tuesday, so I had to wait until today to pick up my SVS PC+ 20-39. I went ahead and got that one after reading so many reviews and getting feedback from people here.

I saw the box and had a hard time breathing "What will my wife say?" kept running through my mind.

I took it home and had her help me unload it. She said "it's awfully big" but really didn't say much else, until i took it out of the box. "Oh my god, it's huge!" she says. Uh-oh, does this mean trouble?

I wired it up and tucked it away in the corner. "Hey" she says, "that doesn't look so bad now." I stopped sweating just a little bit.

So I fired it up, running through my Onkyo TXSR600 receiver and HT500 speakers, set the gain at about 1/2, the volume adjust to -5db on the receiver (per the starting point recommendations) and plopped The Matrix into my brand new Sony DVD changer (also came in the mail today).

I don't have an SPL meter (going to get one) so it wasn't calibrated by any means, but I turned it up about 10 notches higher on the receiver than I've ever listened to the movie. WOW! HOLY, HOLY, HOLY, HOLY WOW! I played the scenes outlined in the book as well as the "Lobby Shoot-up" scene. It was a scream. And the best part of all, MY WIFE LOVED IT! There's bass there that I didn't even know about, and the bass that is there is 100X cleaner and smoother. I can't wait to calibrate everything and then see how it plays.

I also watched jurassic park, but I only have that on a very old VHS, and the sound quality is sub-par, but wow, it sounds awesome. I have about $2200 in my system now (receiver, speakers, sub, and DVD player). Do the $10k+ systems really sound that much better? I can't imagine it. I've never been to a movie theater that sounds as good as my home theater now sounds.

Brian
    [email protected]

P.S. The best news of all, my insurance company picked up the tab after my old sub was hit by lightning!

2. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations, Brian!!

I'm getting ready to take the 20-39PC+ plunge, myself. I have been very impressed by all of the feedback from members of the forum, as well as the extremely helpful advice from Tom.

Oh, by the way, Brian. Are you going to post any pics of the BEAST?[​IMG]

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

My girlfriend at the time also commented on the size of my SVS when it arrived. I just wiggled my eyebrows and said "I thought you liked 'em big." [​IMG]

4. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

5. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

I've had my 20-39+ for about 4 months now. It brings a smile to my face every time I listen to it. I love it! My friend is so impressed, he wants me to sell it to him and force me to get a PB2+! Yeah, I know twist my arm, thanks, but there's that whole problem called, um MONEY!
    [​IMG] (*coughBuyTheNewCollegeGradAPB2+Fundcough*) ;-)

Maybe someday, but I'm stickin' with SVS for life.

-E

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I wish I didn't live in such a cramped apartment! I've been using an 8" Energy sub for 3 years now, upgrading all of my other components every now and again...and it's killing me.

Luckily only one more year until I graduate (and, fingers-crossed, get a job)...then it's "SVS, here I come!" [​IMG]

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

8. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

Sounds great! I just ordered the 25-31 PC+ for my system, but it looks like it's temporarily backordered. But after spending $2000 the last couple of days on the rest of my setup, this can wait a few days.

9. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim