What's new

Unopened Blu-Rays I want to upgrade to UHD discs. (1 Viewer)

Jeff_L

Agent
I have maybe 20 Blu-Rays I haven’t even opened yet, and now that I have a 4K player, I would like to swap them for 4K discs and pay the difference. Anyone know of anyway to do this without trying to scam a place? Some are rather recent, some I’ve had for over a year, but the seals have never been broken. I don’t want free 4K discs, I’ll pay the difference in price, but I would rather not pay full price for the 4K discs. I guess just but the 4K and sell the unopened Blu-Rays on eBay or Facebook marketplace or something, but I’d rather not go through that hassle quite honestly.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Since they're unopened couldn't they be returned to where they were purchased for a refund or exchange?

A friend of mine gave me the Criterion DVD of His Girl Friday and I preferred to have it on Blu-ray, so during the last B & N Criterion sale I went to my local B & N, explained it was a gift and asked if I could exchange it for Blu-ray by paying the difference. To my delight the manager said "yes", so for an additional $5.00 I walked out with the Blu-ray. I had no idea if he had purchased it at this location or not. You don't get if you don't ask.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Since they're unopened couldn't they be returned to where they were purchased for a refund?

A friend of mine gave me the Criterion DVD of His Girl Friday and I preferred to have it on Blu-ray, so during the last B & N Criterion sale I went to my local B & N, explained it was a gift and asked if I could exchange it for Blu-ray by paying the difference. To my delight the manager said "yes", so for an additional $5.00 I walked out with the Blu-ray. I had no idea if he had purchased it at this location or not. You don't get if you don't ask.
That may work if one gets a kind-hearted salesperson for a single disc. Not for 20.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That may work if one gets a kind-hearted salesperson for a single disc. Not for 20.
Agreed, with so many it's either Ebay, Etsy or another Market type site or What I've done before, when I bought a title that I thought I didn't have but did...gift it and learn from the mistake ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The struggle is real. Based on my recent experience any disk has a near negligible value 6 months after launch.
What I found to be true, in my case, is depending on the title and the Edition it can be sold with only a slight loss via shipping. The main issue is the time it takes to sell...I see a guy here that lists DVDs and BRDs for sale...I've never boght here but that might be an option, I guess?

Jeff_L

Agent
Some of these have been sitting on my shelf for over a year. Also, they have been bought from all over, Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart. I know when you do a return, they use some central clearing house to see where your purchase is coming from, so they would see that some aren’t coming from them. Amazon clearly states when their return window is closed on an item. Maybe just do a bulk sale, all 20 for $200 or something and be done with it. Hell maybe some of the local places around me that buy used would give me a good store credit rate since they aren’t even open.

Patrick*R

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
If I hadn't opened those discs yet, there would be a good chance I wasn't all that enthusiastic about watching them in the first place. Therefore, I would conclude the effort and expense to replace them wouldn't be worth the marginally enhanced experience of watching them in 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks