Unofficial Phantom Menace (DISK) discussion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Couldn't find another thread to crash to raise questions about the disk.
    Has anyone had trouble playing the title on a DVD Rom using Interactual player. It always freezes during the start. If I use Mediamatics player it works ok but always goes to the Naboo menus. In order to get the Interactual player to work, I have to hit stop and try to get to the main menu screens which always seem to be the Coruscant menus. I am yet to see the Tatooine menus although I have not tried it on a regular dvd player yet.
    In a non-related question (forgive my ignorance), what connection do Senator Palpatine and Darth Sideous have in common? Sideous looks a lot like the emperor in the other Star Wars movies but it is my understanding that Palpatine became the emperor. Are they the same person then?
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

3. ScottCC

ScottCC Auditioning

neil,
    they so obviously were that it made the movie even more dull. It couldnt have been any more obvious if Palpatine wore a darth sideous name badge. But oh well, that's what you should expect from a kiddies movie. They even had to have him telling anakin in a stupid cheesy way at the end that he'll be watching his carreer closley (wasnt needed at all just another case of pointing out who palpatine is at every oportunity and who anakin becomes), just in case you hadnt realised the blatantly obvious by then. George lucas decided to leave nothing to the imagination in episode 1. Words cant describe how dull, boring and predictable this movie is. It adds nothing to the star wars movies.
    [Edited last by ScottCC on October 10, 2001 at 01:16 PM]

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Thanks for that, Scott. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

5. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Neil-
    Are you from Syracuse? Where did you find the DVD? I looked around at a few locations to no avail.
    P.S.- Are you a Cuse fan?
    --Tom

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Ignoring ScottCC's annoying thread fart, the movie strongly hints that Sideous and Palpatine are one in the same. Notice that when the Nimodeans ask if their invasion of Naboo is legal, Sideous says "I will make it legal." Also, shortly after Palpatine is one of the candidates for Supreme Chancellor, Sideous says "I have the Senate bogged down in procedures."

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Also note the scene when Maul and Sideous talk on the balcony at Coruscant. It is in fact the balcony of Palpatine's office in which he talks to the Queen in later in the movie.
    Also note the same actor (Ian McDiarmid) plays Palpatine, Sideous and the Palpatine incarnation of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. [​IMG] (the emperor in ESB is a combination of an old lady and an eyes of an animal dubbed with a mans voice, I kid you not).
    Suggest all in depth talk of this continue in movies however, I think Neil has his answer on that count. Regarding the DVD Rom issue, I just ran it in my drive here and had none of the problems you mention.
    Dan (UK)
    PS: Funny, I've had all the menu variations now, but Coruscant has come up the most for me too. Naboo and Tatooine are about equal. There is a menu trick to access whicever variation you please however, you may want to try it, the Tatooine one is (I think) the best of the menus.
    [Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 10, 2001 at 01:42 PM]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How do you access the other menu screens of your choice? I had heard about that easter egg but cannot find it anywhere. You can enclose in spoiler tags if you wish, so that others may not have there hunt ruined.
    When it comes to the menus, I was exteremly surprised at how well they were done, as were all of the extras in my opinion. They definitely did things that were not done (at least as well) on dvd before. I loved the deleted scenes and featurettes among other things.
    Tom, I am in Toronto. That is a good 4 hour drive from Toronto so I don't know if e-mailing you with the location would do you any good. It was cdn$29 (tax included) or about US$20.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Neil,
    From the gospel acording to Digital Bits:
    Spoiler:
    To access the Naboo menu scheme, during the Attention warning screen, press "Audio".
    To access the Tatooine menu scheme, during the Attention warning screen, press "2".
    To access the Coruscant menu scheme, during the Attention warning screen, press "10+", "2", "2".
    To access the outtakes reel, go to the Options menu page and press "10+", "1" and wait for the pause as the player accepts the input. Then press "3" and wait for the pause. Finally, press "8".

Enjoy.
    Dan (UK)
    PS: I personaly think these are Van Ling's best menus. Not too much, not too little. The menus on disc 2 are especially impressive.
    [Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 10, 2001 at 06:22 PM]

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Pioneer owners MAY have difficulty accessing the menu easter eggs.
    Spoiler:
    For the "Naboo" menu instead of the "audio" button, try "1". Pressing the audio button on my DV-C36 remote would result in a "not allowed" (disc with an "x" on it) image. I pushed all the numbers on the remote a few times before I realized that "1" worked on its own.

Of course, this won't be the case for everyone.
    [​IMG]
    ~~Nathan
    ------------------
    ...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.
    [Edited last by Nathan_R on October 10, 2001 at 06:33 PM]

11. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Thanks Neil, guess I gotta brush up on my geography [​IMG] Those coordinates sound close to my own. Perhaps this is a good excuse to pick up a nice GPS device? [​IMG]

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Neil - I'm in Toronto area please email were you got it!
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup