Unofficial Opening-Day ticket nightmare thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Michael St. Clair

May 3, 1999
    Every year I go to Opening Day (Cincinnati Reds) with my friends. Buying tickets didn't used to be too hard, just head down to the Ticketmaster outlet at the grocery store or department store.
    Well, now MLB is making all the teams switch to The problem with that? There are only 10 outlets in the entire greater Cincinnati area.
    So some friends of mine go to the ticket outlets, and I stay home to try the internet and the telephone. My friends draw such horrible positions in line (like, 150th!) that they don't have a chance and get shut out.
    The phone is busy, even with automatic redial (*66) on the land line and manual redial on my cell, and because the servers can't handle the load, by the time I get through (on DSL) I can only buy 2 adjacent tickets, then I can't even buy another pair or a single. The servers were much more overloaded this year than last year, which makes me assume that people are giving up on the brick-and-mortar "hopeless lottery" system, and trying online.
    So, my wife and I are going, but my friends can't. A tradition destroyed. Shit!
    Any other stories?
  2. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Nov 21, 2001
    721-SEAT, you know they'll find a seat for me.

I haven't been to opening day in a couple years (well, not since 2000), but the last time I went I used Riverfront Choice Tickets (or whatever they're called). Considering I bought them 3 days prior to opening, I was surprised at the price I got. It averaged out to under $50 per ticket, and we were in the green section. Try them later on and you might get a good deal. I think I got the price I did since they had quite a few left, and people weren't buying figuring they were sold out, or would be outrageously overpriced (Jr.'s first game, opening day). Prior to that, I never had any problems getting the tickets. The first opening day we went to was the strike year, and we got 8th row blue seats for face value. 2000 was the only year we went through a scalper (licensed or otherwise). I've been going to more Dragons games than Reds games, so this year it wasn't a big priority, although I want to go to at least one this year (preferably one of the last three), just to see Riverfront one last time.
  3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Apr 1, 2000
    Wow, rushing out to see a Red's game on opening day, hope does spring eternal. [​IMG]
    Just think you probably would have your choice of tickets for the second game. [​IMG]
    Obviously I'm not a Reds fan.