What's new

Unofficial "Interesting but true trivia" thread (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Butch is right. I just visited the old nieghborhood last weekend, and spent some time around Pelham Bay Park. (I used to live off East Chester Road, between Allerton Ave. and Gun Hill Road. :))
Regards,
Joe

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It is illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon.
That's one I've always hated about Oregon (and friends from oregon who grew up believing pumping gas should be handled by a qualified profesonal and thus are scared to death to pump their own).

Does anyone know WHY this is the case? Do they do this just to provide jobs to otherwise unqualified citizens? Do you have to go through a state licensing program to be a qualified gas pump attendant.

-Vince

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
That Oregon/gas thing reminded me of some hilarious (and ridiculous) "state laws".......

DID YOU KNOW (get ready to roll on floor) .....

That in the state of Idaho, boxes of candy given as romantic gifts must weigh more than 50 pounds. :laugh:

In Chicago, people who are diseased, maimed, mutilated, or deformed to the point of being "an unsightly or disgusting object" are banned from going out in public.

In Chicago, it is illegal to fish in one's pajamas.

[I can't tell you how many times I've been tossed in the pokey for going to the docks in my jam-jams!! :)]

In Chicago, it is illegal to take a French poodle to the opera.

[I'm not makin' these up!! :laugh:]

Go here to see more ........

http://www.md.lp.org/weird_laws.html

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
The two weeks that Timberline closes are for routine lift maintenance. I suppose no one would stop you if you hiked from the lodge to the top of Palmer (the glacier that you summer ski on) and skied down, but it's not as fun as being chairlifted to the top :D.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
The medical term for earwax is "cerumen." (Ser-oo-min)

(I once wrote a product manual for an ear wax cleaner, or a "cerumen remover.")

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The "funny bone" gets its name because the upper bone of the arm is the humerus.
But the "funny bone" affects the lower bones of the arm. (It is actually a nerve junction at the elbow that produces the tingling sensation in the forearm.) It is called the funny bone simply because of the feeling it produces, not any kind of association with the (relatively obscure) name of an adjacent bone. In some parts of the English-speaking world it is referred to as the "crazy bone" - which obviously has no connection with "humerus", but expresses an essentially similar idea. The term is found in print as far back as 1840, when very few people could be expected to know the scientific name of the upper arm bone.

Regards,

Joe

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
Here are some Nuggets of info (Not sure how True)

Hingham Mass. has the most SAAB's (the car) per capita in the USA.

German Army uniform designs were inspired by the Uniforms of the MASS State Police.

The worst weather on earth takes place atop Mt. Washington.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
The proptotype engines for the Boeing 777 was attached to the fusilage of the original prototype of the Boeing 727! They actually pulled the 727 prototype out of the Air and Space Museum in Ohio to prepare it for flight with the 777 engines.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
In the spirit of this thread, one can exchange any cut or severed bill at a bank provided that more than 50% of the bill is still intact. Despite what some were once taught, the serial number does not have to be present for the exchange.

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fairly sure that is incorrect. I believe the current estimate is that 75 billion people have lived and died.
Ken's snippet of info is actually in the current issue of Popular Science. I've always understood them to be an accurate source of information, though they could be wrong, too. ;-)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The fact that there is website devoted to urinals is (so far) the most amazing thing I have seen on this thread.
The fact that people in this group knew about a website devoted to urinals, and could provide the URL, is the most amazing (and scariest) thing I've seen in this thread. :)
Regards,
Joe

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Joseph D:
Re the 777, I just finished watching the very PBS documentary that you speak of, and this is where this information comes from :)
The reason that they used the old prototype was that when they needed to see if the new 777 engine could "fly," the prototype 777 body was not yet ready (an example of "concurrent engineering" in high gear). It was not financially feasible to use an active plane, and the old prototype was the closest non-active plane in terms of size and dimensions to lug the new proto engines. The scary thing was to watch a "blowout" in one of the engines in the air during takeoff as the old prototype wavered in the sky. Talk about a heart-stopping moment for those engineers!!
As a PS, if most of you have never seen this special, it is highly worth your while (it might be available on VHS at your local library). If you are in engineering, I HIGHLY recommend watching this thing. It really puts things in perspective. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks