Unofficial: Gold Diggers of '33 and '29

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jack Theakston, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    Last week, THE VITAPHONE PROJECT announced in a new issue that Warners will be releasing GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 on DVD next year, with the two surviving/restored reels of of the Technicolor production, GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY (1929) as a bonus. No release date yet.

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Great news! These are both fun titles and one of my film profs keeps showing the el crummy VHS versions!

YEAH! (I cannot wait to tell her!)

[​IMG]

Mark

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

sounds fantastic indeed

[​IMG]

4. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Ah, there's nothing like Ginger Rogers singing "We're in the Money" in pig latin. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Quote:
    the two surviving/restored reels of of the Technicolor production, GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY (1929) as a bonus.

Winnie Lightner fans may rejoice!
    Okay, so, she was an obscure zaftigcomic, who was one of the few bright spots in SHOW OF SHOWS, belting "Pingo Pongo" and "Singing in the Bathtub."
    Winnie is featured in GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY.

So, does this also mean that Vitaphone and Warner will think about releasing the fabulous DAWN OF SOUND laserdisc series to dvd? ? ?

6. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Sounds great if it comes to pass. Certainly seems that Warner are upping the release rate of their classics in the coming year. I would love to see loads more Busby Berkeley musicals not only the Warner backstagers but also those fascinating early ones he made for Goldwyn some of which starred Eddie Cantor maybe a bit of a longshot for them but GoldDiggers would be warmly welcomed by me. My copy of 42nd Street looks awfully lonely on the shelf : more Warner musicals like GoldDiggers of 1935, Footlight Parade, Dames, Wonder Bar and Go Into Your Dance please !

The Dawn of Sound generally is a neglected period on DVD : the 30s is probably the least represented decade taking into account the number of films that survive. Warner has made a good start with their Academy Award winners in February but lets have loads more treasures from the 30s !

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Excellent news, I'll be buying this and would be interested in the movies Derek mentioned as well, especially Footlight Parade

8. Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz Stunt Coordinator

It would be wonderful if they repackaged The Busby Berkeley Disc, the two-LD set from 1992 with 22 of his best numbers. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

9. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    Well, with the release of THE JAZZ SINGER next year, perhaps the Jolson stuff will get a release of its own (and I guess that means that GO INTO YOUR DANCE and WONDER BAR will be out of the way).

I could definitely see a GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY box set... the 29/33 disk, 35, 37, IN PARIS, but that's just pipe dreams.

FOOTLIGHT PARADE is one of my favorites and would go good double bill with DAMES or make it a Dick Powell/Ruby Keeler set and throw in FLIRTATION WALK.

Anyway, here's hoping!