unofficial comprehensive list of universal (SACD/DVD-A) players...please add to list

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

Below is the listings I've been able to put together... please feel free to add to this list and thread (good to have it in one place) it and keep the listing comprehensive/complete:

Marantz 8300 ~$1400
    Onkyo DV-SP800 $825
    Integra?
    Yamaha's DVP-S2300 $900
    Teac/Esoteric DV-50?
    Pioneer Elite 47Ai
    Pioneer Elite 45A
    Lexicon RT-10 $3495
    Denon 2900 $999
    Linn 1.1 Uniplayer

Others...?

(P.S.: My personal interest is in what will be really available, retail/street, by the end of January-early February, and for

2. HarryR

HarryR Agent

I think it would be to list the MSRP of the units.

In that case:

Marantz 8300--$1500
    Onkyo DV-SP800--$1000
    Yamaha DVP-S2300--$1000

I think there is a new Pioneer player to be release in June for under 300 also

3. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

Denon 2900??? Is this a new unit coming out soon? WOW!!

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

From today's highfidelityreview.com, regarding upcoming DVD players from Zenith announced at CES 2003....
    An universal hi-rez player for $200.00??!!
    Edit: Sorry, I forget the link to the article. Check it out!!

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

How many of these have bass management for all formats? The only one I know of for sure on this list is the Yamaha.

6. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

[​IMG] [​IMG] Zenith?!? [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Interesting...There are lots of choices under a kilobuck!
    [​IMG]

8. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    The Integra model is DPS-8.3 MSRP $1200

9. Steve & Karen

Onkyo DV-SP800 vs. Yamaha 2300?

Given their similar features and price (~850 street), it would seem to me that the important comparison remains the Yamaha-2300 vs. Onkyo-800... does anybody have an informed opinion regarding which might be superior for:

Redbook CD sound quality ("audiophile" )... what brand and model dacs in each, actual sound...?

DVD-A sound

SACD sound quality

DVD video quality...?

Any comments on the Onkyo having THX Ultra certification but not DCDi, while the Yamaha has DCDi but no THX-certification...?

(the Denon is not out until spring, most others are all >$1,000)

-Steve

10. VincentY

VincentY Stunt Coordinator

i'm a long time 2 ch audiophile putting together my first HT system. in light of the fact that my 2 ch system is too complicated to try to incorporate into an HT system, i'm getting a separate HT system to go with my first big tv, the 60xbr800.
    my components, which are arriving piecemeal over the next 4 weeks, are: B&K 505, Rockets Package 1 Speakers, Brickwall surge protector, ExactPower AC regulator/conditioner. My current dvd player (1 yr old) is the sony 700P, which is no longer available (now they are selling the 715).
    i would like to take advantage of my new 5.1 system by upgrading my dvd player to one that can play dvd-a and SACD. but being a newbie in non-2 channel systems, i don't know what "bass management" means.
    Can someone please educated me as to what to look for in my upgrade of my dvd player?
    thanks.
    my direct email is: [email protected]

11. VincentY

VincentY Stunt Coordinator

i'm a long time 2 ch audiophile putting together my first HT system. in light of the fact that my 2 ch system is too complicated to try to incorporate into an HT system, i'm getting a separate HT system to go with my first big tv, the 60xbr800.
    my components, which are arriving piecemeal over the next 4 weeks, are: B&K 505, Rockets Package 1 Speakers, Brickwall surge protector, ExactPower AC regulator/conditioner. My current dvd player (1 yr old) is the sony 700P, which is no longer available (now they are selling the 715).
    i would like to take advantage of my new 5.1 system by upgrading my dvd player to one that can play dvd-a and SACD. but being a newbie in non-2 channel systems, i don't know what "bass management" means.
    Can someone please educated me as to what to look for in my upgrade of my dvd player?
    thanks.
    my direct email is: [email protected]

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I seem to recall reading last year that APEX would be replacing its AD-7701 universal player (a dud) with an AD-7702. Does anyone know if that is still supposed to happen?

13. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Vincent, I'm preparing an e-mail since the bass management issue isn't really pertinent to this discussion.

14. Steve & Karen

New announcements of high end and low end universal players for later in 2003:
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/
    Pioneer Announces 3 New SACD/DVD-A Products
    Pioneer announced two new products with both SACD and DVD-A playback. The new DV-563A is a single disc DVD Video player that features playback of compressed music formats, progressive scan, and a photo viewer for digital images. In addition, the DV-563A plays both Super Audio CD and DVD Audio discs. Other features in the DV-563A include bass management, DVD-R/RW playback, separate audio and video circuits, 10-bit video signal processing, twin-Wave Laser Pickup for CD, CD-Video, CD-R, and CD-RW playback, Dolby Digital and DTS outputs, Component and S-Video output, Pioneer's "Viterbi" Error Correction system and slow motion playback. The DV-563A is scheduled to be available in June at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $270.
    Pioneer also announced a line of five "home theater in a box" systems. Two of these models - the HTD-630DV and the HTD-530DV - will include SACD and DVD-A playback. Both of these models feature progressive scan DVD playback, DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX and Pro Logic II decoding and a 96/24 digital to analog converter. They also feature 600 watts of power, a 5 disc changer, front speakers, a subwoofer, center channel and surround speakers. The HTD-630DV is distinguished from the 530DV model through its use of wireless surround channel speakers.
    Zenith Announces Its First SACD/DVD-A Player
    Zenith announced several new DVD products including three single disc DVD Video players: the models DVB312, DVB317 and DVB318. All three of these models include progressive scan DVD Video playback and MP3 decoding, compatibility with DVD Videos, CDs and CD-R/CD-RW discs, and JPEG and WMA files; and component, progressive scan, and S-video outputs. In addition the DVB317 and DVB318 also include a variable-speed shuttle on the remote control, and digital audio outputs.
    Of interest to high resolution audio fans will be the DVB317 player that adds DVD Audio playback and the DVB318 which adds Super Audio CD and DVD Audio to the feature list. All three of these new DVD players from Zenith are scheduled to be released in the 2nd Quarter of 2003 at prices of under $100 (DVB312), $150 (DVB317) and $200 (DVB318).
    Lexivon RT-10, which will be priced at $3,495
    Linn Unidisk 1.1 universal SACD/DVD Video/DVD Audio Player
    Bel Canto: Last year, Bel Canto used CES to introduce their Pre6 preamp which offers analog inputs for high resolution players like SACD and DVD Audio - or they can also be used in a multi-zone/room set up instead. This year, Bel Canto showed a prototype of an upcoming "multifunction" player that can handle DVD Video, Super Audio CD and DVD Audio media in both Stereo and Multichannel modes. According to the Bel Canto folks, their aim is to deliver a product that offers very high video and audio performance. They also expect the product to fit in visually and quality wise with the rest of their product line. I was able to hear the player perform on CD and SACD discs in the demo room. It sounds good - especially for a product that Bel Canto's staff says "came out of the development lab" just 16 hours ago. Now that is early in the development cycle! Bel Canto expects the yet unnamed player product to be on the market sometime this summer. While there was no pricing given, it sounds like the player's price will be in the neighborhood of their new "PrePro" unit which sells for around $8,000.
    MSB announced their new "Super DVD Audio Player". The product combines three different functions in one box. It's a home theater processor with built in DTS and Dolby Digital decoding, it's an 8 channel preamp with an 8 channel analog input and 8 channel analog output (unbalanced) and a 2 channel balanced analog output and it's a optical disc player that handles Multichannel and Stereo CD, MP3, DVD Video, Super Audio CD and DVD Audio discs. Other features of the player include 24 bit, 192k DACs, 192k MSB upsampling, analog pass through to allow other devices to connect to the player as a preamp or direct to the amp through the unit, 2 firewire outputs, 3 MSB network outputs and a coaxial and optical digital output. The unit has 2 remote controls - one for volume and play and a second, "more complex" remote for programming and "total control". The new MSB Technologies Super DVD Audio Player will sell for $7,995 and orders are being taken for the unit now. The first units are expected to hit the market in 3 to 4 weeks.

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

That Pioneer DV-563A looks great! I can't wait to see how good it really is. My main priorty is dvd video quality. So as long as it nails the progressive scan image I am definately making the purchase.

16. Steve & Karen

If only we knew when to really expect it...
    Denon's DVD-2900 Universal DVD-Audio/Video/Super Audio CD player is the company's first player to offer both DVD-Audio and Super Audio Compact Disc playback. The DVD-2900 also plays back virtually every other optical disc format available, including CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3-CD and DVD-R/RW Videodiscs, making it the ultimate all-in-one digital home entertainment source component. In common with all Denon high-end DVD players, the DVD-2900 is engineered to the absolute highest standards, to deliver unsurpassed video and audio quality. The player incorporates features such as Denon's exclusive PureProgressive Scan™ technology featuring the Silicon Image SiL 504 decoding engine, Noise Shaped Video™ digital image enhancement technology that operates on both progressive scan and interlaced video signals, 12-bit, 108MHz Analog Devices video D/A converters and Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192kHz audio D/A converters, and many additional advanced features. The DVD-2900 also offers full digital bass management for DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD, a comprehensive range of picture control adjustments and an RS-232C port for interface with third-party system controllers, enabling its performance to be perfectly optimized for any home entertainment installation.
    http://www.dba-pr.com/clients/denon/...es/CES2003.htm