*Unofficial* Amiga Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd H, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I've noticed that a few of us were Amiga owners back in the day, so I figured maybe it was time for an appreciation thread. And being as I started this thing, I'll guess I'll go first.

My first Amiga was an A500 back in the late 80's. It only came with a measly 512k of ram. I remember buying the 512k upgrade and doing the soldering so that it would act as an extra 512k of chip ram. At the time, 1 megabyte of memory was considered a lot (especially 1 meg of chip ram). I remember thinking that I couldn't imagine ever upgrading the thing to 9 megabytes (which I believe was the ram limit at the time).

It came with one floppy drive, which meant that the first upgrade was usually another floppy drive. Equiped with 1 meg of ram and 2 floppies, the thing was an incredible game machine. I remember playing games like Shadow of the Beast, Lemmings, and Sword of Sodan until my hands started hurting. The games for this thing were far and above anything else at the time.

But the Amiga wasn't all about games. Thanks to some great music programs, making music was easy. Add the fact that the sound chip gave you 4 music channels in stereo and you had a pretty powerful sound creation and playback tool. Graphics were also an Amiga strong point. Thanks to Deluxepaint and the HAM (hold and modify) mode, you could create fantastic graphics with up to 4096 colors on-screen at once. For the time period (the 80's) this was unheard of. And let's not forget the Videotoaster. If you remember watching Babylon 5, you've seen what the Videotoaster is capable of.

I stuck with the Amiga for a long time. I eventually upgraded to an A1200 with the built-in 40 meg hard drive. But thanks to Commodore's total lack of smarts, the Amiga died in the 90's. I eventually sold all my Amiga stuff around 1995 I believe. But to this day, I still haven't found a PC that has given me as much joy as my trusty Amigas.

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I used to have an A2000. I liked it a lot. During my senior year of HS we received some A4000s w/ Video Toaster and we spent a lot of time learning how to edit/produce video on them. Very cool stuff.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I rather liked the unix-hybrid AmigaDOS operating system.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have this AmigaCD32 or something.. it says commodore on it too, so im confused... its a useless peice of junk [​IMG] I won it in this draw from this bank... i used to be able to hook it up online and check my account balance on it and stuff...

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Nick, I'll take it off your hands!

That's Commodore's game system that never really sold

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I have one of the original A1000s, open up the case, the underside of the cover has the signatures of the team molded in. It was two floppy and 512K, with the old 7.3MHz Moto 68000. Oh yes, the first stero color monitor too.

I thought the first IBM PC was a piece of crap, the first Mac I saw (the original FAT Mac), I thought, "You've got to be kidding?? This is below aweful". My Amiga A1000 remained the only desktop machine that blew me away. Remember, it was: the first true multitasking desktop OS (how many years did it take the other guys?), the first desktop to have full motion video (again this was on a 68000, with 512K and two 720KB floppies, no HD, NO additional HW, not even the Toaster), first desktop to come standard with text to voice (with buildin applet to choose different voice and ptich adjustment), first desktop to come with color monitor standard, first desktop to come with buildin stereo speakers in monitor....

Anybody remember Defender of the Crown, Marble Madness ???

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hmm... *runs off and sees how much its really worth* [​IMG]
    I'll ask my dad about it jeff... It also has a modem and a remote control just FYI.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hell yeah! The Amiga is awesome! Too bad the Commodore execs pioneered the "rape the shareholders" tactic of making money, and retired in the Bahamas. Those bastards!
    Anybody remember that home video recorded by the Commodore hardware design engineer, I forget his name, of the last day of Commdore...the day Commodore folded and laid off everyone? Some funny stuff, but mostly a sobering preview of things to come in corporate America. [​IMG]
    Back in my engineering days, I read engineering articles that used the Amiga as an example of a clean and efficient computer design. The Amiga truly was revolutionary from a consumer computer design standpoint (compare that to the original Mac...what a mess! I'd be ashamed if I designed the Mac the way Apple did!). Parallelism, baby!
    Everything I learned about computer programming and debugging, I learned on the C128 and the Amiga. I'll take a Guru Meditation over the BSOD any day!

10. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
  11. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Had a A500 for a few years before I upgraded to a GVP 40Mhz with either 4 or 8 Megs of ram. Man that thing was fast! Links golf would draw from wire frame to full course in seconds. [​IMG]
    Loved to drive Stunt Car Racing and World Circuit. Fighter Duel was just too fun with two Amigas linked up and going head to head.
    I remember the Summer Olympics showing a Mac demo using a 3D fly through of Atlanta's facilities. And the stand that held the Mac had a Amiga 2000 with a toaster tucked in a hidden cabinet in the back of the stand. Too funny!
    I think the Amiga was the originator of Pirated copied programs. Remember X-COPY?! Or your local Computer Software Rental stores? [​IMG]