What's new

Unnecessary/redundant cabling question (1 Viewer)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I'm in the process of re-wiring my system with all new cables and I'd like some opinions.

Most of you reading this know what a tangled web we weave with all the interconnect cables behind our HT systems. I'd like to avoid as much mess and extra cost as possible. I'm wondering how some of you wire certain components.

For example: A typical DVD player has digital audio outputs and analog audio outputs. Do you connect both? (I know it's not necessary to run both optical and coaxial digital). Also, what about the multi-channel (5.1) outputs? Do these do anything noticeably different from digital output to a receiver? (My receiver has multi-channel inputs but I'm not using them right now). Am I missing anything?

DVD players usually have composite video, S-video and component video. My TV doesn't have component inputs so that's a no-brainer. I always watch DVD's through the S-video so that's probably the only one I'll hook up. I am just wondering what most of you do. Do you connect all?

I guess what I'm asking is this: Do you fill up all the holes on your components just because you can, or do you just connect the ones you use?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I connect the connexions I am going to use. There are obvious ways to do this.

If you're not playing SACDs or DVD-As, you don't need BOTH the analog [stereo or 5.1] AND the digital [coaxial or TosLink] connexions. After all, all the audio on DVDs is digital. I have digital and analog [and AC-3 RF] connexions from my LaserDisc player, but that is because LD can provide analog and digital audio channels, and also a Dolby Digital 5.1 track requiring an external deecoder, all of which I regularly use.

You don't need more than one set of video connexions to feed the same display, and so it makes sense to find the best one and only run that cable: for DVD component is best, S after that, composite, RF last if it's even available.

The best practice is to list the functions you are going to use, and then the functions the different connexions support, and then eliminate the duplicates until you have the smallest number and the best performance.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I tend to only connect what I plan to use to avoid the clutter.

One bit of advice: put the reciever on the lowest shelf. Put box's above the reciever that you never touch. Put the box's that you interact (DVD, VCR, Game system) on the higher shelves.

Run the AC power cords to one side and tie off with velcro.

Let the speaker wires flow out onto the floor.

Let the interconencts flow loose down the middle of the rack, or bundle in 2 or 3 places with velcro (You dont want a tight bundle.

This tends to give you 3 separated bundles of wires (AC, speaker, interconnects) in a ergonomic layout of equipment that is easy to use and maintain.

Hope this helps.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If for some reason you want to be able to record the DVD player’s audio output on an analog recorder (like a cassette deck or VCR) you should add the analog outputs to the receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks