Unmatched Center or No Center At All?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I have a JBL S-Center to go with my Mission mains and rears. I bought all this stuff back before I knew about timbre matching and all that mumbo jumbo. Compared to the Missions, the JBL is very clear and has accelerated highs. The Missions are more laid back. I've realized that this combo doesn't match well, so I ask you guys....is this a really bad move? Should I just ditch my center all together?
    thanks
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Site
    The At-Home Home Theater (E.L.)
    The Dorm Room Theater (E.L.)

2. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Go with an unmatched center until you can get one that matches, or a different system altogether. The center is the most importan speaker, carrying as much as 70% of the onscreen action. It's to important to not have one at all. Even if it means the sound changes character during pans.

3. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

phantom mode!

4. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

I go with an unmatched JBL Studio series setup and an AR center channel that actually matches very well. I don't notice anything as serious as with your missions and JBLs.
    Sam

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I agree to keep the S-center, but you may want to try phantom mode on certain movies, but you will probably find you will miss your S- Center.
    Are you planning on going with the Studio series mains in the future?
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

6. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

You don't need a centre channel.
    Wait a minute, that's what my signature says.
    ------------------
    You don't need a centre channel.

7. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

If you are the only one watching, while sitting in the sweet spot, phantom mode will work much better than an unmatched center, if your left/right speakers image well. If you are listening to music and it sounds like your center is on but its not then you are getting good imaging. Give it a whirl the only effort you have to make is to change the setting in your reciever so play with it. At the most you might have to play with your left and right speaker position to get better imaging.
    Greg

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

9. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

"You don't need a centre channel."
    You must be kidding. Yes, if you want proper presentation of a movie soundtrack, you do need a center. If you don't care about missing part of the movie or you don't care about proper presentation, then you don't need a center channel. But if you believe that, then you don't even need a home theater system. Just watch your TV. Trust me. For proper movie sound, the center channel is NEEDED!

10. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I've tried phantom mode and it works well if I sit in the sweet spot. If I move a little to the left or right, I lose my center image and it sounds pretty bad.
    "70% of the onscreen action"
    If you set up your receiver to use no center speaker(as opposed to just disconnecting it) that '70% of the onscreen action' is re-routed to your mains. You don't lose the sound at all.
    Regards
    KrisM
    [Edited last by KrisM on November 02, 2001 at 04:40 PM]

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Hubert,
    You are incorrect. A decent receiver will route the center channel information to the L&R channels when the CC is set to 'None' on the receiver. If you are listening in the sweet spot, the presentation will improve (less phase induced nulls/peaks when using just the L&R channel). However, anyone outside of that sweet spot will have a significantly reduced HT experience (over a CC equipted system). The suggestion to try a non-CC system (assuming 1-2 viewers) is a good one...
    Greg