Unlocking 'features' in games is stupid

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_B, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

Whoever came up with the idea of having to 'unlock' most features in video games should be forced to bungi jump with a cord that is just a little bit too long. It seems like every game nowadays forces you to unlock most of the interesting features. Who wants to have to spend hours of time going through the single player game countless times just to unlock a new jacket or a new bow tie? Fighting games and 'extreme sports' games seem to be the most egregious violators. I am waiting for the day that sports games only have 2 teams enabled by default. If the games were really worth playing, there would be no need to hide features. It's simply a way to get you to waste your time playing their stupid game.

2. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

It's called replayability. And having unlockables, especially ones that are harder to get, give you something to strive for.

Take Super Smash Bros : Melee. Yeah, it's great having the 8-10 characters to play with from the start, but it's even better having the full complement of characters available in that game. Do you need them? No, but if you want them bad enough you'll work to unlock them.

And to top it off, most unlockable things are a BONUS, they're not necessary for the game. It's not like you have to get them. If you want to play the game, then play the game and get rid of it when you beat it.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I like unlockables as a reward for playing well, but when they obscure a significant game play addition, I think they suck. [​IMG]

-Dave

5. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

I personally think unlocking features makes the game interesting and tougher - why just beat a game once if when you beat it the second time you get cool stuff?

If you don't really care about the unlocked features then don't bother getting them -

6. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I like unlocking stuff for the most part, but sometimes it's really hard and I get frustrated and would rather snap the game in two then play it anymore. I'd like to see every game have cheat codes to unlock everything for those who don't want the challenge.

I'm currently in the process of unlocking all the junk in Mortal Kombat: DA. I can see why the devs set it up the way they did with The Krypt because fighting games tend to lose there replay value after a few hours. With MK: DA you can spend many hours unlocking all the stuff.

7. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

My two favorite games for unlocking things have been Super Smash Bros : Melee for Gamecube, and Deathrow for Xbox.

The unlockable features and additions in both games have really made me want to play them through and unlock everything. There's a certain joy and feeling of accomplishment when you've unlocked everything in a game.

8. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Hey, in most cases you can get a cheat code to unlock what you want if you don't want to wait.

Most of the time, I don't mind unlockable features, as long as the immediately available stuff is fun. It's funny this should come up, just a few minutes ago on the subway, I unlocked a new car in Colin McRae on the GBA...it was worth it.

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Unlockables are rewards for the dedicated. They're something to strive for besides "finishing" the game. The best ones are the really cool extras that add to the game, but aren't really a part of it... especially if they come as a complete surprise (or at least is not something that is advertised by anyone).

You mention Tony Hawk, but most of they unlockables in the TH games have been extras. Extra non skater characters (Darth Maul, Spiderman, the Cop), extra modes and cheats (antigravity, full power bar) and the like. The only thing you could really complain about imo is the hidden levels.

The problem is when unlocking things becomes the main reason to play the game from the start, or is required to get full enjoyment out of it. The most agrivating are ones where you must play through the single player to take full advantage of the game's multiplayer aspects (IE Monkey Ball, Metropolis Street Racer and (fron what I've heard) Godzilla).

That practice should be stopped.

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I don't have a problem with unlocking stuff in games but what I do have a problem with is what that stuff is. Like stupid pictures or outfits or other stuff that really doesn't matter in the game but they just put it in there to basically annoy people. If a game has unlocking features it should unlock cheats, extra levels, or other stuff that will actually change the game somewhat.

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I have to disgree with the title header and say that unlocking features in games is not stupid. However, two times out of five the stuff you do unlock is pretty stupid.

Personally, I love the idea of unlocking things in video games. It gives them a lot of replay value. And it's extremely rewarding when the thing you unlock is just totally awesome. Take a look at these examples:

Metroid Prime
    - beat them with certain scans, pickups, or difficulty level and you get lame picture galleries. [​IMG]

WWE: Smackdown, Shut Your Mouth
    - Beat 100 Wrestlers in Slobber Knocker, and you unlock the Divas video. [​IMG]

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

13. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I do think that all games with unlockable stuff should at the very least after 6 months have a fully unlocked memory card file for download, or a code released that does the same

Some of us suck

15. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I agree with Jeff.

Mostly,though, I have no problem with unlockables.
    I want to feel like I got my money's worth.

As for Godzilla - I just use a cheat code when I play with friends so I can get all the monsters. When I finally get down to playing single player, I'll know the challenge is still there for me to take...

16. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I agree with Jeff to a point also, I mean, I paid for the game I want access to everything after a reasonable amount of time has passed. Not everyone can complete every single game.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think GoldenEye is the PERFECT example of how unlockables should be done.

There were 3 Bonus Levels (keyword being Bonus), a bunch of cheats that you could unlock, a bunch of hidden characters to play as in the multiplayer mode, and all the modes were available from the beginning. So you don't unlock the Multiplayer mode, you only unlock things that make it better. And then they released codes that can get you all the cheats and levels from the beginning!

Super Smash Bros. Melee is another good example of how it should be done. The game starts out by offerring a bunch of different modes and characters, and the secrets only add to that.

I don't mind if the unlockables include extra modes, so long as the game is good enough that you'd want to keep playing (much like Panzer Dragoon Orta, from what I hear).

18. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

19. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

"The problem is when unlocking things becomes the main reason to play the game from the start, or is required to get full enjoyment out of it. The most agrivating are ones where you must play through the single player to take full advantage of the game's multiplayer aspects (IE Monkey Ball, Metropolis Street Racer and (fron what I've heard) Godzilla). "

"The best games are the ones that you want to play over and over again. Whether it is because of unlockables or becuase the game is just that addictive, that is what makes a great game. "

i agree with those two statements. unlocking stuff means that the developers are not creative enough. i never enjoyed unlocking things. a new costume? i dont care. i prefer the characters ( female ) not to have costumes.

20. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

It's all about how it's done and what's unlocked. The picture galleries in Metroid Prime were eh. Seeing Samus minus helmet, plus the little teaser for the next Metroid game if you got 100% pickups was cool. Unlocking the Fusion Suit and the original Metroid was even cooler. Having hard mode is also nice, since it ups the challange the second time through, whereas otherwise the game would be far easier because you're simply so much better at it. However, the great thing here is that none of these were necessary to up your enjoyment of hte game. The secodn time through Prime I'm playing through on Hard mode with the Fusion Suit, but if I just wanted to replay, it's fine the way it is. The unlockables are fun, but not necessary.

Another good example of good unlockables are the two GBA Castlevania games. Circle of the Moon lets you play through the game again with different stats and abilities, making you approach the game differently. The Magician can blast the crap out of people with magic, but can't take damage. The fighter has no magic but has huge defense, massive hitpoints, and can dish out massive pain. Harmony of Dissonance let you play through on a harder mode, a no magic mode, as a different character, or in a boss rush mode where you tacked all the bosses, one after another. Again, these enhance the replay value of the game, giving you a chance to try something different the second time around, without being something "missing" the first.

Basically, if unlockables are something that are there to enhance the replay factor, and make things different and/or harder the second time through, then I'm all for them. If they're needed to really enjoy the game, then they're bad. Single player unlocking multiplayer modes is a prime example of this, and if multiplayer is affected by single, then there do need to be cheat codes to unlock them without having to play through every secret in the single player game.