Unlimited Saga, aka "Hey, When do I get to play?"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John Spencer, Jul 10, 2003.

1. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Well, I usually have pretty good luck with Square's products. And I genuinely liked Saga Frontier I & II. I thought they were innovative, and had fun with an RPG emphasizing story over combat. But Square and Enix hosed Unlimited Saga up something fierce.

They turned a fairly simple leveling system into a counter-intuitive mess. And I really don't like how you don't really get to walk anywhere. You just get to click where you want your characters to go, and they hop on over complete with annoying whooshing sounds. Had I wanted a semi-graphical text adventure, I would have broken out Return to Zork.

So I'm not pleased, and I'm out $50. Just a warning to those of you who might be interested in this game. You may want to rent it first.

2. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I had a similar experience with Brute Force. Not only would I like my $50.00 back, but I'd also like to reclaim the 15+ hours of my life back that I spent playing it. By far the most disappointing game I've played this year (not the worst, but the most disappointing).

3. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Brute was not good, and definately not worth the hype...[​IMG]

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

We had 3 or 4 copies of Unlimited Saga traded in at the EB I work at within the first few days of it's release, and more than a few since then.

Not a very good sign.

5. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Well, I decided to give this game a second chance, and played it off and on over the weekend. Now I've changed my mind.

It's not just bad, it's horrible. I was hoping that I was put off by the unique gameplay style, and that once I got past that, I could see the charms of the game. Nope.
    It's just a really ill-conceived and poorly-executed mess. None of the quirks that made the first 2 charming exist within this disk. It's like they kept the clunky elements of the first 2, and threw in some new clunk only deliverable on the PS2.

So now I feel comfortable in saying, "Stay far, far away from this game. It's a stinker."

6. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Good thing I rented this...as I didn't like it. And I like the SaGa series a lot too, just it after going through stupid bandit battle where it never ends and having to stop to rest just got me in the end. Ugh, not even Deadly Towers (horrible game) got me this annoyed. Oh well, back to Blockbuster with you.