What's new

Unlikely Great Duets (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
File this under "Just for the hell of it".

My daughter was listening to one of her favourite duets, which I also enjoy a lot...

Bryan Adams & Mel C - When You're Gone:

That prompted me to introduce her to some of my own favourite duets, which while at the time were not obvious pairings (to me anyway), were nonetheless a wonderful blend of voice, melody and harmony.

Phil Collins & Phil Bailey - Easy Lover:

Cliff Richard and Phil Everly - She Means Nothing to Me:

OK, this last one is purely gratuitous. These sublime crooners pairing up was a no-brainer (where is High Society on Blu by the way), but I love this duet so much that I have to include it here.

Frank Sinatra & Bing Crosby - We Wish You The Merriest:

Please feel welcome to post your own unlikely, hand-in-glove duets of stars already established in their own right.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for posting, Josh.

That link doesn't work for me, saying "This video is not available", although I do know the song.

Have you ever seen/heard Shatner's version of Rocket Man? Life's never quite the same after you do!
Due to the Favored Nations clause (scource of Shatner's ST V) in their contract the estate of Leonard Nimoy is requesting equal time

... ;)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
About 7 months early but definitely Unique ...

I remember seeing this when it originally aired - Bowie was living in a neighbouring castle ;)

Lovely! Thanks for sharing, Bryan.

Hadn't heard that before, and who'd have thunk it that those two would do a duet?

Reactions: PMF

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's the one that clicks into my brain after reading the OP (and it's another Christmas tune):

Cyndi Lauper and Frank Sinatra - Santa Claus Is Coming to Town

It's obviously a manufactured duet. Frank's version is his original recording of the song from his Columbia days (late 1940s). But they re-recorded the instrumentation/arrangement and did a nice job isolating Frank's vocal. And then Lauper sells the entire thing by singing along teasingly with Frank's original track. I absolutely LOVE this recording.

This was originally released on the "A Very Special Christmas 2" charity album (to benefit Special Olympics) in 1992.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The first one I thought of when I read the title was everything by Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. On paper it should be ridiculous, but the only thing ridiculous about their duets is that they can both sing the sh*t out of any song!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
George Jones should have been named Mr. Duet. During his stint on Musicor in the 60's, he was paired with label mate Gene Pitney. It's an unlikely pairing, but somehow it seems to work:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Wow, I didn't realise there had been more posts on this thread since Bryan's last post about the Crosby & Bowie duet. Thank you all for your contributions... and as the thread host, my apologies for not noticing them earlier. Great stuff!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Robert De Niro and Mary Kay Place: "Blue Moon" (heard exclusively on the original soundtrack of "New York, New York").

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aretha Franklin & George Michael, "I Knew You Were Waiting For Me"

The Queen of Soul with an upstart Britpop youngster? But I loved it anyway (it's still in my iPod).

Also, Aretha with synth act Eurythmics, "Sisters are Doin' It For Themselves," also seemed an unusual pairing, but was another fun track:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I can't stand Tim McGraw usually, nor am I fan of most of the new "country" artists. I would normally cringe if someone suggested Tim cover a classic Hank Williams tune. He holds his own with Tony Bennett on this one:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks