Unlike last years Academy Award movies, we have alot to look forward to in DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tomoko Noguchi, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

LOTR, Harry, Ali, just to name a few.

2. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Of course that is assuming all of those will be up for Academy Awards (I think they will be). What other movies, in your mind will be not only academy award movies but also will be DVDs to look forward to?

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'm looking forward to A.I., Mulholland Drive, The Man Who Wasn't There, and The Royal Tenenbaums. Hopefully the latter title will be released by Criterion as rumored.

4. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking forward to "The Royal Tannenbaums" as well.

Actually, I'm probably inviting a ton of flak for this, but I don't get too excited about a Criterion version of newer movies nowadays. I guess it's because I was never into laserdisc and didn't know Criterion when it was the only outfit putting real effort into restoration, etc.

Lately, studios have been putting out some great product in terms of extras and picture/sound quality for pretty reasonable prices. The Criterion collection doesn't to be as exclusive as it once was, mainly because most studios are getting onto the DVD bandwagon.

Granted, for classics/previously released stuff, Criterion is still king.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

6. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I'm really looking forward to the release of Mulholland Drive. I really hope Naomi Watts gets acknowledged by the oscars.