University of Michigan forfeits men's basketball games and imposes postseason ban.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 7, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

What an incredible story. The University of Michigan today took drastic measures in response to the situation that arose several years ago involving a booster and the men's basketball program. Michigan forfeited men's basketball games dating back to the "Fab Five" era. In addition, the university removed banners from Crisler Arena honoring Final Four appearances in 1992 and 1993, the 1997 NIT championship, and the 1998 Big Ten tournament title. Michigan also imposed its own ban on 2003 postseason play. Finally, the university has agreed to return $450,000 to the NCAA, which represents revenues received from post-season play over the period in question.
    Here is a link to the story:
    http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/1107/1457316.html

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Hey, the best defense is a good offense. I think they did the right thing before the NCAA comes down hard on them. Maybe this will soften the blow but you never know. What that booster did was pretty bad for "amateur" sport.

Patrick

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Perhaps some of that $450,000 should come from Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, and Juwan Howard, who have made over $200 million in the NBA.

4. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

5. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

6. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Similar to what Brad was saying, I was wondering earlier today, what would have happened, if, say Michigan had beaten UNC in the title game? Would they round up Dean Smith, Troy Montross, etc and have a parade?

Anyway, as a MSU grad, I love every minute of this!

7. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I remember hearing about how Chris Webber (could have been someone else) was always angry when he'd see kids buying and wearing his jersey, knowing he didn't make one cent off of the sale. Chill guy, just wait a year or two, and you'll be making more millions than you and your posse can spend. Hats off to the Maize and Blue for stepping up and not trying to white-wash this.

Chris

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Michigan will be banned from any tournament for the next two years. Just when Amaker was really turning that program around, but two years is not that long especially with Jr. recruits.

The good thing about the forfeited games? Chris Webber NEVER called the timeout!!

I have no doubt that almost ALL players take money in the NCAA and I really don't care if they do but these guys were just not smooth enough to pull it off.

I remember back when Tractor Traylor was playing for Michigan and he was rolling around in a slammed Suburban and told everyone it was his Grandmothers and she worked two jobs. LOL.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

10. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

First of all men, let's remember who we are talking about when discussing college basketball....kids. All this mumbo jumbo is fun to argue, but the people I feel the worst for ar the seniors on the basketball team now. How would you like it if you were not able to succeed at your job because some jackass that had come and gone screwed it up for you?

I do not know Chris Webber, but I do know Louis Bullock, Robert Traylor, and Maurice Taylor. These kids are good kids that made mistakes, and because of the fact they play basketball the whole world knows about them. You have to look at how this whole thing happened. Ed Martin befriends inner city kids way before they ever go to college. Now he can give them millions as a high school student and nobody cares, but once they go to college now it's a big issue. I agree that what happened was wrong and someone has to pay. I think it is unfotunate that the basketball team of 2002-2003 has to take it. Do I have all the answers?? No, I don't. But I think it really stinks to punish a program that since has had 2 different AD's and 3 coaches.

Jason

11. Scott Merryfield

Jason,

The punishment is more of a deterrent so that the organization will clean up its program and (hopefully) not do this again. Yes, it is unfortunate that the current players have to suffer, but they did know that the school was under investigation when they accepted scholarships. After all, this investigation has been going on for several years. I do feel that they should be allowed to transfer to another school without penalty if they choose, though. The NCAA needs to fix this rule.

As for the "kids" who did accept this money, they were over 18 when they broke these rules. They were old enough to vote and serve their country, so they certainly were old enough to understand that this was against the rules that they agreed to when they accepted scholarships. I have no sympathy for them, but they probably will not suffer any consequences anyway. The school's only possible recourse is to sue them for damages. Other than Bullock, all the others have big fat NBA contracts, so any suit (even if successful) will not have any financial impact on them anyway.

12. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Scott,
    I agree 100% that the athletes involved should pay. If those guys had any loyalty at all they would either pay the fines levied against Michigan or donate the same amount back to the program. As much as they bitch that they never received money for jersey sales etc. without Michigan they would not have had the platform for success that they did. I hope that Michigan does sue and they win. It would be nice to set a precedent so the people that do the crime, do the time.

13. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I think UofM deserves a major slap, but I don't see how inflicting the penalty on this year (and next years?) team really has any effect. None of the coaches or players remain. The only people the punishment hurts are completely innocent of wrong doing! To me it is like finding out your 26 year old son/daughter did something very bad as a teenager and then you punish the current teenage child for it.

IMO all the players and coaches involved should face heavy fines and a complete ban from college athletics. There is very little discouragement when the guilty party(ies) know that THEY won't have to pay the price, someone else will.

14. Scott Merryfield

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason said:

16. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I found it interesting in the USA Today sports section that when Webber's agent was asked if Chris would pay the University back for the money they lost he replied,"I think if you return something, you're admitting you did some type of wrong," Fallasha Erwin says. "That issue hasn't been addressed yet."

Are you f****** kidding me????

Jason

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, that's sad, but to be expected. Webber should take responsibility for his actions. He should give the money to the university or a charity of his choosing and admit his wrongdoing.

18. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Well I guess it's hard to admit what you did when you have to convince a grand jury that you didn't lie about it in the first place. I mean hell if you are gonna lie you might as well take it as far as you can.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, I guess. The sad thing is that Webber knows he is an NBA superstar and that no one really cares about what he did in college. The situation at Michigan will in no way affect his status in the NBA.

20. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Now in retrospect, it is once again proven that if something seems to be too good to be true (the Fab 5), it probably is.
    On the subjects of post-season play and sanctions, IIRC, the Big 10 has a revenue sharing program for its members. Which means that money received from playing in the NCAA tourney by one school is shared with the other schools. At least that is how it used to work. So Michigan, would be giving up their share of post-season revenues, even if they don’t qualify for the tourney. And as the Big 10, normally qualifies a large number of schools, they will miss out on a lot of money.
    The only school so far to receive the ‘death penalty’ has been SMU for their football program. This allegedly because they were so arrogant, that they did not cooperate with the investigation, stonewalled all the way and denied everything. Last close call was Alabama (again for football), just recently. According to press releases, the NCAA did not hand down the ‘death penalty’ because of the cooperation received from the school and their contrition for their evil ways.
    It would appear that Michigan is preempting even Alabama in their rush to avoid severe sanctions.
    I expect that Howard and Webber will give back to Michigan about the same amount as did Eric Dickerson to SMU. [​IMG]