Universals TV Set Packaging

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Paul_Scott, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i realize this is a minor point for many people here, but i've always been fascinated by product packaging and design.
    and appreciative when i see it implemented well.

in the last 3 yrs i've seen Universal issue their tv product in
    digipaks without slipcases,
    didgipacks inside slipcases,
    keepcases inside slipcases,
    and now thin pack inside slipcases
    and i have to say i really hope they stick with this most recent format. For me, not just for asthetics but sheer practicality and ease of access, nothing i've seen yet beats thin packs inside slipcases. the biggest boon by far is the saving of precious shelf space.
    and i also have to comment on the graphic design.
    i think the Universal Classic Televison banner at the top is winner, also and hope to see that continue for a while.
    its not that i like the 'studio branding' so much as that i like the way Universal has done it as opposed to a studio like Paramount- their brand is relatively huge and fairly gaudy, rendered in inconsistent candy colors.
    in comparision, the Universal brand is smaller, and consistently a neutral, elegant grey/silver.
    in short, just a lot classier
    also have to mention they did a really fine job with Dragnet box art in particular i thought.

i really hope if/when Kolchak and others get released it will be in packaging consistent with this.

2. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

Do you have an image of the Universal Classic Televison? I don't think I've seen that. The thin packs are much better than the cardboard foldouts.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

here's the front cover of Dragnet
    [​IMG]

the box is actually silver foil (sort of like the original Jaws covers) with the police shield and title embossed.
    very sharp looking.