What's new

Universal's tv releases when are we.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Going to hear anything new about the tv shows they mentioned months ago? I cannot wait to throw my vhs copies of Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica and others.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm all over Galactica.

I want to see some word on Northern Exposure.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
And I'd like them to release season sets of all the RenPics shows. So far, all they have is Xena season 1, and that's an exclusive through the official Xena/Hercules store.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it has been a long time since August 21st, when Universal announced that all these titles were in-the-works. It seems like we would have heard more about the unreleased 8 series (Battlestar Galactica, Emergency!, Dragnet, Quantum Leap, Sliders, Earth: Final Conflict, Magnum P.I., & The Rockford Files) by now.
However, I have checked almost daily for the past 3 months, and Universal has not added any information about these titles to their media publicity database.
Just as soon as they say something I will pass it on...unless someone beats me to it! :D I'm as anxious as you are for this. The thing is, I've heard rumors that Law & Order's sales were lukewarm, and that Baretta's sales were downright mediocre. I haven't seen any numbers to support these whispers, but anecdotal evidence supports that information. I don't know what kind of spin that puts on the rest of their TV-to-DVD initiative. We'll just have to wait and find out, I guess.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Dave I'm not surprised by the reaction to those two sets. Law and Order is a great show especially the 1st year but I think people are burnt out on it. It's been rerun to death on A&E and now TNT. And the fact that they've 3 other series of of it has further dilluted the demand. Beretta was a property that was released to cash in on what's happenning to Robert Blake. I think with what's happenning to him people just don't want Baretta at this time. Add to that Universal has done nothing Special with these sets, I just think people are letting them pass in favor of more high profile releases like TNG and others.

I think higher demand titles like Galactica and Quantum Leap would do a bit more.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree that the L&O and Baretta series may not have been the wisest of choices, Baretta especially. Sure, Blake is in the limelight, but are people really eager to support an accused murderer?

MSCL has shown how a hard core fan base will support a series release, even given all the BS that went along with it. It was in Amazon's top sales rankings for ages.

Northern Exposure has a similar fan base, and isn't overexposed in syndication (pun intended). Two of the principles are pretty high profile right now as well, and not for killing people.

RELEASE NORTHERN EXPOSURE!

JulianK

Supporting Actor
So far, all they have is Xena season 1, and that's an exclusive through the official Xena/Hercules store.
Dan, all six seasons of Xena are available in the UK (Region 2).
(Actually the second half of season five hasn't been released yet, but once it is, the series will be complete!)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Law and Order is a great show especially the 1st year but I think people are burnt out on it.
Also, collecting the whole thing is a terrifying proposition. Including the spin-offs, there's something like 16 seasons (plus a TV-movie) to collect with more being made every day.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I still hope to see Miami Vice on DVD. There were only 5 seasons and it was a popular show. I feel that Universal would be wise to release the show since it wouldn't be too expensive to collect the entire run and that just may attract more buyers.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I still hope to see Miami Vice on DVD. There were only 5 seasons and it was a popular show. I feel that Universal would be wise to release the show since it wouldn't be too expensive to collect the entire run and that just may attract more buyers.
Never happen. The music rights are too expensive. The studio has as much as said so, much like Fox did about WKRP.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Even though it cost a bit..im finding a long of old shows i enjoy from Columbia House, on DVD. I am doing Airwolf, and Hogan's Heros now...and looking at Perry Mason. HOWEVER, at over $20 a shot and no extras i wont go to far with them...but i had to have Airwolf. I would love to see The Six Million Dollar Man, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and Northern Exposure too. I talked to a friend who was going to do Land of the Giants from Columbia House, but it seems they cancelled it...to few pre orders. I have Space:1999 on DVD...and i love it, how more obscure can you get.

MattHR

Screenwriter
May we be getting close to seeing both "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" on dvd? 2003 is the 30th anniversary of the debut of SMDM, and Dimension Films and Universal are producing a big-budget remake called THE SIX BILLION DOLLAR MAN. USA Networks is also said to be producing a new "Bionic Woman" series for broadcast later this year. Perfect opportunity to market the original series to coincide with the new versions.

I just read that Lee Majors is suing Universal Studios for breach of contract. He claims Universal cheated him out of royalties owed to him from profits from the show. Unfortunately, this is the type of situation that could prevent any planned dvd release of SMDM, at least until any legal issues are resolved.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I hope Universal adds "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" (Gil Gerard) to their list of upcoming releases.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
You'd think THE INCREDIBLE HULK would be on Universal's roster since the new version hits the big screen this summer. Anchor Bay is releasing the first 2 reunion TV movies, but I'd like to see the original series on DVD in R1 as well. Full seasons, no "best of"!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You'd think THE INCREDIBLE HULK would be on Universal's roster since the new version hits the big screen this summer. Anchor Bay is releasing the first 2 reunion TV movies, but I'd like to see the original series on DVD in R1 as well. Full seasons, no "best of"!
Steve, this has been on my mind, too...since I first talked to Uni and got wind of L&O being their first TV-on-DVD set. However, they have been extremely coy about answering the questions regarding The Hulk. It's not like they are uninvolved in the new film :) so it behooves them to promote their new production with the old show, and to promote the old show with their new production. Unless there is just some (say, legal or money) hang-up keeping it from coming, it darn well ought to be come out this spring. I can't imagine that they just forgot. Could they have? :eek:

Spero D

Second Unit
Never happen. The music rights are too expensive. The studio has as much as said so, much like Fox did about WKRP.
David never say never as I have 2 DVD of Miami Vice from the UK as well as Knight Rider, Six Million Dollar Man etc. So if Universal can release them in the UK then it is a matter of time before they are released in the US.

Spero D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks