What's new

Universal's Last 2007 Release - 'Timecop' (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Universal has announced their last HD DVD for 2007 - Van Damme's 'Time Cop'. While it may not be the most exciting way to close out the year, it is a movie I will pick up.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Considering they never saw fit to release an OAR version DVD stateside...

Same goes for Sudden Death (I think that was theirs anyway).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ugh.................. the Ishtar of time travel movies, what a way to close out the year.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am not quite sure what you mean by the Ishtar of Time Travel movies. Certainly not Box Office (Timecop - 100 million Worldwide with a 28 mill budget, Ishtar - 14 million worldwide with a 55 million budget). As far a the quality of the film, Timecop is an easy to watch 'dumb' Van Damme film (was that redundant) and certainly no way near the trash of the Ishtar. Not even in the same leauge.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Considering Universals' shaky video, no lossless support, and a DVD15, I'm going to wait for reviews. If good, I'll likely buy it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This may almost make me take the plunge into HD. Hardly the 'Ishtar' of time travel movies, this is one of Peter Hyams' better efforts; closer to Outland than End of Days.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If memory serves, this will also be its first appearance on any form of DVD in its OAR.

The film is several cuts above the usual Van Damme nonsense, in no small part because the script has genuine wit. It was written by Mark Verheiden, whose later credits include Smallville and Battlestar Galactica. And Ron Silver makes a great villain. ("Never interrupt me when I'm talking to myself.")

M.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While not a horrible movie (and I am sure enjoyed by many), I do feel a bit underwhelmed by Universal's announcements.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
My apologies to the fans of this film.

To set things right - Van Damme is the Sir Lawrence Olivier of Kickboxers turned actors that star in Western Martial Arts movies and I'm sure this is the Citizen Kane of Van Damme's oeuvre.

My disappointment stems from this being the capper to a rather lackluster Q4 lineup of catalog titles from Universal.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Couldn't agree more. Not the way I would have hoped Universal would end the year, but what the heck, at least we have Cat People hitting the streets this year.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

In the US yes. However I have the UK R2 version which is a very nice OAR anamorphic release. So good in fact I'm not sure if it's worth a HD upgrade. I like the movie but not that much. Maybe in 5 years or so if I find the HD version for sale on ebay for $10 I might go for the switch.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I think he means this movie sucks. :laugh:

I'm with Jim, the HD release announcements since Paramount went HD DVD exclusive have seemed pretty woeful to me overall, and the HD DVD exclusives even more so. It is almost like Universal said, "Oh, thank God! We don't have to carry this format on our back any longer, let's just mail-in the rest of this years releases".

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I think Universals main issue is that they pumped out so much this year that the well of semi-modern catalog titles they KNOW will sell is already running dry, and they don't think the market is profitable enough for classics yet (hence them changing their mind on Hitchcock).

I'm actually pretty thrilled this is coming, thought I don't like anybody using HD15s. I had to import the UK DVD to get this in OAR on standard def, and it definitely suffers a bit from PAL speedup. This, along with Sudden Death (ANOTHER title I had to import just to get in OAR) are my favorite Van Damme cheesefests.

"Stop arguing amongst yourself, I made the call."

Now if only we could get Warner moving on getting Under Siege 2 out the door on high def.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I thought Lionheart was Van Damme's Casablanca. Hard Target is more like Van Damme's Seventh Seal.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No, his Seventh Seal is Universal Soldier. Lionheart is sui generis -- a unique contribution to world cinema.

Oh, and Maximum Risk is his Persona.

M.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Oh no I thought Universal Soldier was considered to be Van Damme's Lawrence of Arabia and Double Team would be his Persona. Maximum Risk is more like Van Damme's Vertigo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks