What's new

Universal's John Carpenter & Wes Craven box sets (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"The John Carpenter Collection" has: "The Thing", "They Live", "Prince of Darkness", and "Village of the Damned."

"The Wes Craven Collection" has: "Shocker", "The Serpent and the Rainbow", and "The People Under the Stairs."

Did anyone pick either up this week (they were released on October 7th.)

I didn't buy Carpenter's as I already owned all 4 – but I did buy the 2 re-issues of "They Live" and "Prince of Darkness." (and I'm still pissed Universal didn't do something more for those two...using the same friggin transfers that were on the OOP Image discs for pete's sake!)

I *did* but Craven's set because I didn't own any of the 3. All bare bones and wimpy Dolby 2.0 surround tracks. Yippee.

I hope Universal starts putting out better product. I have little hope for when they re-issue "Flash Gordon" (1980).

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I agree that Universal should've done more with these releases. The R2 discs of POD and They Live will be fine with me as far as special features are concerned, but I would kill for SEs of Serpent and Halloween III.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I got the Wes Craven box at Fry's yesterday (it was only $24.99!). I'd get the John Carpenter set but, like you, I've already got THE THING and VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED.

I'm just happy to have these movies, period. I rarely bother with most "bonus" material anyway, so the fact that they're bare bones doesn't bother me in the slightest.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Does the Serpent/Rainbow feature an anamorphic transfer? I've heard that the box says yes, but the film says no. I'm not a big fan of Shocker, except that they filmed some of the scenes at the same location as Nightmare/Elm Street's boiler room sequence. I'm still divided on the People Under the Stairs. It's much better than Deadly Friend (which seems unavailable on DVD), but nowhere near as powerful as The Hills Have Eyes. I already have the Carpenter DVDs, but I might pick up this Craven set if I see it on sale somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks