cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It's been several years since I've seen these movies. I did a blind buy of the DVD set based on the supposed horror themes and Lon Chaney, Jr. as the star. My recollection is they're more noir/mystery than horror (with only minor horror trappings at best) and just average entries in those genres with Chaney being mostly wasted. I need to get out my DVD set and give them a rewatch to see if I "need" the upgrade or not...
The story is more interesting than that. Chaney fancied himself a leading man in the Clark Gable vein--clearly he was already hitting the bottle pretty hard--and was pestering Universal to throw him a few dramatic bones. In order to keep him happy, they licensed the rights to the radio show, which allowed him to be romantic (sort of) without straying too far off the spooky reservation. And the reason he wears a mustache in all of them is because--Gable wore one.

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Just thought I'd mention something here . Growing up in the late 1950's many of us were exposed to these films as part of the Shock Theater package that include all the famous Universal -International horror films. There were a number of films that would be a stretch to call horror films including these . But, we tuned in each week and enjoyed the films, and many of us became fans of Chaney , Ankers , Zucco, Atwill, Verdugo, etc. and these B movies . So, we now consider these films to be part of the horror genre . I'm glad Mill Creek is issuing these on Blu-ray , and I hope that between , Kino -Lorber , Shout Factory , and Mill Creek eventually every one of the Shock Theater films - 72 in all , I think - get released . It's possible - they're already more than half way there !

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
With the pandemic, I'm sure this will happen to more titles but according to Amazon, this has been pushed back to July 21.
I can see that, especially with last month's announced temporary shut down of some of the Disc Replication Plants, due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Stay Safe Everyone!

Reactions: timk1041

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
Price is down to $41.99 on Amazon ! : )
Considering that many Mill Creek releases (the double features of Hammer and William Castle, for instance) had list prices of, I believe, $19.95 with street prices typically $12.95 or less, this set seems a bit steep. I just think the company is trying to project a more prestigious image by upping their MSLP on recent titles. Providing added value material does make a difference, though. I will await reviews.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Considering that many Mill Creek releases (the double features of Hammer and William Castle, for instance) had list prices of, I believe, $19.95 with street prices typically $12.95 or less, this set seems a bit steep.
By that math, the William Castle movies are $6.50 each and the Inner Sanctum movies are $7 each so 50 cents more is "a bit steep"?

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
With the pandemic, I'm sure this will happen to more titles but according to Amazon, this has been pushed back to July 21.
That Stinks ! : ( .. I was looking forward to these 6 Films on May 19th with The Evil of Frankenstein. Frankenstein & Monster from Hell was also scheduled on May 19 then moved to June 30 !! : ( Everything is a Mess because of a Virus. ?

Reactions: TravisR

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Considering that many Mill Creek releases (the double features of Hammer and William Castle, for instance) had list prices of, I believe, $19.95 with street prices typically $12.95 or less, this set seems a bit steep. I just think the company is trying to project a more prestigious image by upping their MSLP on recent titles. Providing added value material does make a difference, though. I will await reviews.
I guess it depends on your outlook. I purchased the DVD set just over 10 years ago fort $18. I think the ~$42 price is reasonable, more so in light of how much Shout, or even Kino, would have charged. Would I like it to be less? Sure... who wouldn't? The true "sweet spot" for me is ~$30 but it's a pre-order so if the price drops I'll get the lower price. If it goes up I'll still get the lower price. If I decide by release date I'm not happy with any lower price it may have hit by then I can always cancel the order. After all, most MC titles seem to drop in price by a goodly amount a few months after release.

Reactions: timk1041

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
I guess it depends on your outlook. I purchased the DVD set just over 10 years ago fort $18. I think the ~$42 price is reasonable, more so in light of how much Shout, or even Kino, would have charged. Would I like it to be less? Sure... who wouldn't? The true "sweet spot" for me is ~$30 but it's a pre-order so if the price drops I'll get the lower price. If it goes up I'll still get the lower price. If I decide by release date I'm not happy with any lower price it may have hit by then I can always cancel the order. After all, most MC titles seem to drop in price by a goodly amount a few months after release.
Yes, its all personal priorities. I just ordered WAR OF THE WORLDS, SORRY WRONG NUMBER and I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE (don't know if or when I'll actually get them) for about $30.00 each including shipping from Deep Discount. I may sell off one or two of them after I've watched them a few times, but I'd have paid $50. for just WOTW, which is a definite keeper. Hell, I was a big laser disc collector in the 80's-90's, and paying that much for a really good special edition of a classic like that one would have been a bargain! Pioneer was releasing some single CAV Harryhausen titles for $70.! And I bought them! It's all relative. I like WEIRD WOMAN but am less enthusiastic about the other films in the INNER SANCTUM set, and so the retail price (or even street price) seems too high to me.

Detour (1945)

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I'm interested in getting this set, but it's the extras that will make the final decision.

Anyone have any idea when Millcreek is going to release the specs on the extras?

Detour (1945)

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Shout! Factory is slapping a $70 MSRP on their Universal Horror quartets, which works out to $17.50 each for one-hour pictures. Now THAT'S steep!
To be fair, most, if not all of the films on these sets have commentaries, which I love, so for me that's two viewings per film.

So, now it's only $8.75 a film, a sure bargain!

(Plus, who pays $70 for these sets? I've paid between $48-$55 per set, all on Amazon Canada)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz