1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Universal's Inner Sanctum Mysteries coming from Mill Creek

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RICK BOND, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 46 Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    I just found out that Mill Creek will be releasing Universal's Inner Sanctum Mysteries (1943-1945) six film set on 2 Discs May 19th. I thought for sure Shout Factory would be releasing this set. I hope Mill Creek does a Good job !

Richard M S, Jack K, Darby67 and 3 others like this.
  2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    At 70 bucks srp, these better be on 2 gold-plated discs. :)

Richard M S, Darby67 and timk1041 like this.
  3. Message #3 of 46 Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    Yes I know. I just saw the listing and price on Mill Creek's website and Amazon pre-order is $70.00 ??

Darby67 likes this.
  4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's 6 movies for a $70 MSRP and Scream Factory charges the same MSRP for 4 movies. Plus, the discount that Mill Creek titles get is usually much better than Shout's discount so this will be much cheaper than Shout and you'll get 2 more movies.

My only disappointment is that I'm sure this will be bare bones and I wish they had some commentaries like Scream's releases have.

Jack K and Darby67 like this.
  5. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Mill Creek? How did they end up with these? I didn't know they had access to any Universal titles. I would have preferred Shout because the quality would be better, but we'll see how these look when they're released.

RICK BOND likes this.
  6. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Mill Creek has released THE UGLY AMERICAN with Marlon Brando from Universal. And in the coming weeks, they have HEROES with Sally Field & Henry Winkler along with EDDIE MACON'S RUN with Kirk Douglas.
    Along with the INNER SANCTUM titles, they are releasing a double-feature western set with Universal's MAN FROM THE ALAMO combined with Columbia's THEY CAME TO CORDERO. Also a noir set combing Universal's HOLLYWOOD STORY with Columbia's NEW ORLEANS UNCENSORED.

Brent Reid, Jack K, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  7. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    These films are outstanding. Especially WEIRD WOMAN. Too bad the price is so high.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Even at the MSRP, it's less than $12 a movie. I imagine with the typical discount, it'll be about $8 or under $7 (if the price is discounted to 40% like many Mill Creek titles) a movie.

Flashgear, Jack K, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Unlike Shout Factory titles Mill Creek are discounted a lot. This will be $40 by street date about $7 a film.

10. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    Yes Randy I agree ! No Doubt the price will go down before May 19th. The release date.

Darby67 likes this.
  11. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Yes. I
    Yes. I just saw those other titles on their website. I wonder how the quality is on those.

Darby67 likes this.
  12. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    have had a running inner monologue since reading this announcement first thing this morning, first was oh hey Inner Sanctum Mysteries is getting released, oh damn it from Mill Creek, looks like those 6 titles are not in the new Kino -Universal deal, thought that maybe Shout would have jumped on this as a companion to their Universal Horror sets, guess getting to redo the Hammer titles as Collector Editions is the better deal.

I know, it's wrong to think that Mill Creek is a lesser independent, but that is what they are, they distribute what is negotiated , and if the studio that they have a deal with provides a less that steller product, that is what you will get. The question then is, did these films benefit from the same restorations that the other Universal Horror titles received? if so, then maybe them getting this isn't such a bad thing, the have stepped up their game lately, the Andy Sidaris films, Ultra Series, which they are knocking out of the park quality wise.

One of the post above says that they would have preferred Shout (Scream) for added content, looking at my actual Universal released DVD set, nothing there except the films themselves, no trailers, no commentaries, so this is basically an HD upgrade, the question is if its a good enough of an upgrade, the new coverart is well; i will let you decide, it works but i liked the look of the DVD package.

Another of the Universal Collections, knocked out in one fail swoop, price wise, it will come down, but with other announcements this week, this is starting to look like a pretty good year, but rough on the bank account :D

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Mill Creek can do good work.

For instance, Sony did a 4K restoration of Lady From Shanghai. They first licensed it out to TCM for Blu-ray; TCM put it out twice and made major technical errors each time - unacceptable at any time but especially because they were asking $30+ per disc. When that license expired, Sony relicensed it to Mill Creek. The MC version was like $7 and was technically correct.

Yes, they’ve done bargain basement releases too, but it’s a much different world now than when they started. Players like Mill Creek have long understood how to make viable releases in limited markets. That’s what’s needed in today’s physical media environment.

14. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Flashgear and RBailey like this.
  15. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    All of their releases have been excellent.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  16. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    [​IMG]

OK so a little more on this, yes i have mill creek titles that i own, but now i am thinking what gives, i thought this was going to be a simple port over of the Universal set, that would have been 2 disc, and that is what is stated on Mill Creeks website, but i also found that ballyhoomotionpictures.com/ is doing a feature length documentary, that should be ready during release time. So maybe not so bare-bones as i would have though, if they could add the trailers for each film, i would have been ecstatic, but the chance of a new documentary, that's awesome

17. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    I am wondering why there are only 2 discs for this set. I realize all the films are short- 1 hour to about an hour and 10 minutes and it will be blu ray, but perhaps 3 discs with 2 movies on each instead of 2 discs with 3 movies on each would be better, especially with the suggested retail price. Of course, the DVD set had only 2 discs and the quality on that is decent. I guess we'll find out how this looks. I am hoping it will be nice.

RICK BOND and Darby67 like this.
  18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The films are barely over an hour, black and White and no extras or possibly a 30 minute documentary. 2 discs is plenty. There wouldn't be any noticeable difference with 3 discs. This is no different than a 3 hour movie on 1 disc. Many 3 hour movies in color and with a few extras get 1 disc and look great these discs will use far less space than that.

19. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    upload_2020-2-14_9-31-38.

so the packaging is mislabeled, could be

20. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    A Perfect example is Spartacus (1960) 3hrs.17min. on 1 disc plus Bonus Features. And it looks Fantastic !

Tony Bensley, Darby67 and timk1041 like this.