Universal's Franchise Collection: How about Psycho?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John KB, Jan 30, 2004.

1. John KB

John KB Second Unit

I really like these new Franchise Collections. I've purchased Smokey and the Bandit and definitely plan on getting the Airport Terminal Pack....Now how about one for the Psycho movies, including all four?

The only problem with the Franchise Collection, is Universal is cheap...Smokey 3 is not anamorphic, same with Conan the Destroyer...I'd be worried that they'd use the same non anamorphic and full frame dvd transfers that already exist.

I realize that the sets are inexpensive, but I still feel they should be enhanced for 16:9 displays.

I'd prefer special editions any day, but if this is the only way we can get all four, then bring on The Norman Bates Franchise Collection!

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I wonder how many posts it will take before someone mentions a new 16:9 transfer for John Carpenter's The Thing?

......oops..[​IMG]

3. John KB

John KB Second Unit

I realize that there have been many posts about an anamorphic Psycho release but my post is more about these new Franchise Collections and getting all 4 Psychos in one Franchise set, in widescreen...anamorphic or not.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I just bought the 2 Hitchock collections and plan on purchasing the sequels individually. I dont think Psycho 4 is even available on DVD though...

Either way it would seem that Universal is not concerned with these lesser follow-up films but I do think that the original classic should stand alone. I'd rather Universal or Goodtimes just reissued the sequels as two individual, single-disc double features rather than a box-set...

5. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I'd buy all of these in cleaned up anamorphic transfers, even without extras in a box set. As for widescreen though, everything I've read on imdb.com and other sites was that Psycho 4 was shot straight to cable in 1:33. Don't quote me on that though.

6. RichardCrowther

RichardCrowther Stunt Coordinator

I realise this might not be much use to those of you without multi-region players, but for those who have, you might be interested to know that there is a boxset in the UK and Australia (and Mainland Europe, maybe, I'm not sure) containing all four movies.

From memory, the first movie is basically the SE version released in America, 2 is open-matte, three is widescreen but non-anamorphic, and four is 4:3 as was intended. No extras for the last three movies, I don't think.

The picture quality isn't what you could call brilliant, but it may be useful as a temporary measure until proper SE's of these movies are done.

If ever. [​IMG]

It retails for around £25, maybe cheaper in Australia. And, if memory serves, I think at least two of the prints are NTSC conversions, so there might not be any PAL speed-up problems, for those who are concerned about this. As I say, this leads to less than startling picture quality, though - ghosting and the like.

7. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I'd like a Psycho Franchise Collection with Psychos I-IV and Bates Motel. Two double-sided discs, just like the Airport collection.

8. John KB

John KB Second Unit

I forgot about Bates Motel...I have it on VHS somewhere.

9. Josh Simpson

I've never seen Bates Motel, but I have heard varying degrees of love and hatred for it...

10. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

This might not be an issue to you, but I can't think of a single reason why something released in widescreen should not be anamorphic.

As for a franchise set...I would pick it up if it were OAR (and anamorphic, of course)...but I really would settle for just the original and part two...

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill

Maybe not a single GOOD reason, but how about "the studios don't want to spend the money required for a new transfer, even if the return on investment would be greater?"

12. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I don't quite understand why a new transfer is required to make something anamorphic. The file exists in the digital domain. It seems likely to me that every frame could be digitally stretched, representing an anamorphic image.

I work in Photoshop, but I'm not really familiar with the process of "transferring" movies to digital files. I assume it's just very fast scanning of each frame.

13. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

I'm really surprised Universal hasn't jumped at this opportunity. The Goodtimes DVDs of II and III are very poor (II is 1.33:1 open matte and III is non-anamorphic) and have been OOP for several years. The original is non-anamorphic. IV never has been on DVD. It sure would be nice to get brand new remastered 1.85:1 16x9 enhanced transfers for I, II, and III. Hopefully this Fall we'll get a box set or Franchise Collection with all four films. Come on Universal! Anthony Perkins deserves better.

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well.....at least now, well over a year later, we have a new 16x9 enhanced transfer of The Thing...th...that's something.

15. Josh Simpson

I am taking a trip to Australia next week actually for two weeks, so I might have to keep my eyes open for that Norman Bates set....so that way they can announce a R1 set as soon as I get back. [​IMG]

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

But if the source material is of non-anamorphic video quality (which would be the typical situation when using older video masters, the rare studio and film aside), stretching the image to make it faux-anamorphic accomplishes nothing. Stretching the image doesn't add resolution, so it misses the entire point of anamorphic encoding.

DJ

17. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    If they re-release PSYCHO, they had better fix the aspect ratio...1.85:1 mattes too much off the top and bottom. Compare the opening credit sequence of the fullscreen version to that of the DVD.

18. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

yeah its *IS* funny-How the smaller video companies have a "Can do!" attitude, desptie smaller markets and budgets, yet they often are the first with anamorphic transfers;
    Same with some of the smaller markets like Korea, etc-they dont make a big to-do about it-they just re release something in 16x9...
    Yet here, with a HUGE market, the big studios cry 'boo hoo" over giveing us new transfer-something they will in nearly all cases recoup their money spent on a new transfer.

19. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

While you are at it Universal, How about a TREMORS Franchise Collector's set with a Anamorphic Remaster of the original movie?

20. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

Yes, most definitely. Tremors 2: Aftershocks also needs 16x9 enhancement.