Universal's "Best Pictures" 5-film Box Set - streets Tuesday - the next rare item?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Jan 27, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was doing the research this morning for the "Weekly Update" that I always post over in HTF's Bargains/Coupons section, and I ran across an item I hadn't heard was coming (the pic is courtesy of DVD Planet's site, but the info is from Image Entertainment's site):

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Greg,
    The Deer Hunter is 2:35 the last I looked. The Sting is 1:33 but it was filmed in 1973 so wonder what the OAR is? (Just looked at IMDb and it says it was 1:85)
    Just also looked at the Rotten Tomatoes web site and they are saying they are all the same aspect as what is out there.
    Rotten Tomatoes - Universal Best Pictures Collection Stats
    I wonder if the individual covers are different or just placed in this slip-case for quick sale? Each are Oscar winners but wonder what Universal's motivation here?
    I am not particularly interested in any of the movies (not my taste) but it is a bargain!

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I meant if the Deer Hunter that's included in the boxed set is the same as the "present Deer Hunter" disc that's available, it's a non-anamorphic 2.35:1 DVD. It's not terribly bad, but it's not that great either. It's been out for a while.

Anyway, I looked on Universal's Home Video website and couldn't find anything. I have a feeling this is just a boxed set available for Oscar time. Probably see it at Costco and other discount wholesalers.

5. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

Great, that's all we need to confirm that the studios will stoop to any depths to merchandise/package their catalog titles for another sell. What do these DVD have in common other than they are old releases, and they all won an Academy Award? It is painfully obvious they concentrated all their efforts into the design of the box.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The Sting is supposed to be coming out this year (August?) in a special edition (which damn well be better OAR), so I see no need to buy this box set.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Sting is 1.85:1 matted widescreen (meaning the DVD is open matte.)

This box set is pathetic, BTW.

8. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The Deer Hunter is being released as a Special Edition later this year (at least in R2), The Sting looks terrible (at least the R2 is letterboxed, but it's still an awful transfer). A waste of money and time, if you ask me.

9. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

David,

Looks to me that you have fallen for the poor marketing strategy of Universal by talking yourself into believing that this is rare.

All you seem to be getting for over $70 is a limited edition piece of cardboard, filled with poor excuses of discs for great films that aren't limited on their own.

I would recommend to keep far, far away.

-Chad

10. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

If you buy them individually from DDD (just cause they have the lowest prices) it comes to $77.68. Better yet, they all should be available from Columbia House, where your average price is about $10 per DVD. But that is only if you can live without the box. [​IMG]

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

All right all right, y'all have convinced me. I won't buy it. I knew it was "a ploy" in any case, but I thought it was good bang for the buck with the exception of The Sting.
    The numerous posts about the shortcomings of Deer Hunter, plus George's news of a Sting SE on-the-way for later this year put it over the top.
    Thanks for keeping me honest, fellas! [​IMG]