Universal's BALTO won't be OAR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlennH, Dec 3, 2001.

1. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Looks like more nonsense on the aspect ratio issue for a "family" DVD?
    DVDReview.com is reporting that Universal's 2/19/2002 release of BALTO will be "fullscreen."
    The OAR is 1.85:1 according to IMDB, which also says that the laserdisc is 1.85:1.
    My daughter has the VHS ("modified to fit your TV") and just watched it again on Saturday. I was going to replace it with the DVD, but not if it isn't OAR.
    EDIT: Whoops, looks like Will K posted a few minutes before me on this issue. Mods, you can kill this thread I guess.

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Despite our apparent "victory" with regards to convincing Warner Bros. to release a few titles in widescreen that were to have been P&S, I think the studios are slowly but surely abandoning us. Fox is evidently releasing FERNGULLY in P&S, now we hear this about BALTO. It makes me want to vomit when I see studios simply igoring the consumer group that put DVD on the map in the first place. How simple it would be to put both P&S and OAR on two sides of the same disc, especially since neither FERNGULLY nor BALTO are being released as special editions. I think we're screwed, folks, unless we can produce the numbers of protests for these releases that got the attention of WB for CATS AND DOGS and WILLY WONKA. Are we up to it?