UNIVERSAL: Woody Woodpecker and Walter Lantz Car-tunes on DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'll put it down plain and simple...

There's NO Woody Woodpecker cartoons on DVD! Disney is releasing excellent box sets of their star cartoons, WB is remastering their Looney Tunes, but there has yet to be a Woody DVD.

I'd personally like to see "collections" of the cartoons fully restored with the original mono tracks and 5.1. It would be nice to have production art and perhaps commentaries by cartoon historians.

It's been forever since I've seen a Woody Woodpecker cartoon, and I hope the next time is on DVD!

2. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I just hope that when these do arrive, that they aren't the ones that have been redubbed. The new voices are very distracting from the way that my memory recalls Woody and his friends.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I just paid a fair amount to acquire a video of ten Walter Lantz cartoons, including Tex Avery's LEGEND OF ROCKABYE POINT with Chilly Willy. These cartoons need to be issued on DVD.

4. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

For some reason, Universal has never done much with WW on video to begin with. there've been a few VHS tapes and an LD and that's it. They could really go all out and do them right and I'm sure that animation fans and family audiences would respond in kind.

I'd sure buy 'em.

5. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Good idea! [​IMG]
    If Universal put out a series of "Collector's Edition" DVDs packed with nice, un-cut/un-altered prints of all the Lantz cartoons directed by these talented gentlemen--
    Alex Lovy
    James "Shamus" Culhane
    Dick Lundy
    Tex Avery
    Don Patterson
    Sid Marcus (collaborating with Art Davis)
    --plus some of Paul J. Smith's early-1950s cartoons, I'd be a very happy fella, who felt his money had been extremely well-spent.
    However, Universal would have to pay ME to take DVDs full of Jack Hannah's lame Woody Woodpecker cartoons, & the vast majority of Paul J. Smith's later work (mid-1950s thru early-1970s). Given the choice, I'd rather have my teeth drilled than watch a "Beary Family" cartoon, or one of Smith's Chilly Willy shorts from the 1960s or 1970s.

6. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

I would really love to be able to get these cartoons. From what I remember seeing on TV, they look pretty faded, specially the ones with Walter Lantz live action segments in them.

Edit: This request only applies to classic Woody. I'm impartial to the new Woody.