What's new

Universal- Why won't you release SWEET CHARITY? (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I initially gave your Post a "Like" ; but only withdrew it because I can not comment on Xanadu, as I have not seen it.
What I "Like" about your Post was the Australian exhibition history on "Sweet Charity".
I saw "Sweet Charity" at the age of 10 and I loved it. Even talked my parents into getting me the soundtrack; a vinyl I still have to this day as a keepsake. Unless I've missed something on this thread, I was wondering if you - or others at HTF - can comment on the 70mm version. Was it a blow-up from a 35mm? And, stupidly, I'll admit; I don't understand the concept of a 35 blown to 70. How does that work? Doesn't it reveal more flaws, or look less sharp?
Anyway, I'm anxiously waiting to see "Sweet Charity" get a BD release.
One could say that I am holding out a lot of "Hope" for this to happen.:cool:

You don't have to wait. Sweet Charity was released on bluray late last year. Stunning quality with several extras.
Most 70mm films were blow-ups in later years. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO was an amazing blow-up- probably the best ever.You would never have guessed that it was a 35mm blow-up when you saw it in 70mm.Many blow-ups were a disaster.GONE WITH THE WIND for example- but the audiences still came to see it on the big screen.It looked dreadful when I saw it on the full sized deeply curved Cinerama screen in Christchurch.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You don't have to wait. Sweet Charity was released on bluray late last year. Stunning quality with several extras.
Of course, you are referring to the BD exclusively out of France, correct?
If I'm wrong, then from what other sources is Sweet Charity currently available on BD?
Finally, can anyone confirm if the French BD is Region-Free?
I'm game to buy it; and I wouldn't mind double-dipping if and when Universal would give us the 4.0 sound on an American BD release. I wonder how amazing the cinematography by Robert Surtees would look in a 4K scan?
4K and 4.0 is my Universal mantra of "Hope".

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is Region Free.
It plays fine in my Panasonic Region A player - original language, no forced subtitles. The menu is in French, but understandable.

Reactions: PMF

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I initially gave your Post a "Like" ; but only withdrew it because I can not comment on Xanadu, as I have not seen it.
What I "Like" about your Post was the Australian exhibition history on "Sweet Charity".
I saw "Sweet Charity" at the age of 10 and I loved it. Even talked my parents into getting me the soundtrack; a vinyl I still have to this day as a keepsake. Unless I've missed something on this thread, I was wondering if you - or others at HTF - can comment on the 70mm version. Was it a blow-up from a 35mm? And, stupidly, I'll admit; I don't understand the concept of a 35 blown to 70. How does that work? Doesn't it reveal more flaws, or look less sharp?
Anyway, I'm anxiously waiting to see "Sweet Charity" get a BD release.
One could say that I am holding out a lot of "Hope" for this to happen.:cool:
Sweet Charity was a 35mm biow up to 70mm. It was used for sound,to add 6 tracks as 35 could only hold 4. As an added benefit if done right the image looked much better on bigger screens that the big downtown theaters had.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sweet Charity was a 35mm biow up to 70mm. It was used for sound,to add 6 tracks as 35 could only hold 4. As an added benefit if done right the image looked much better on bigger screens that the big downtown theaters had.
What this indicates to me is that Sweet Charity has a lot of Sound to be culled or tapped into for a BD.
If the 70mm print was created to spatially make more room for the sound, then the possibilities could be fantastic on a BD;
perhaps, even more so, than what the original audiences may have heard.
Am I on the right track? (no pun intended):rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
It is Region Free.
It plays fine in my Panasonic Region A player - original language, no forced subtitles. The menu is in French, but understandable.
Is it in stereo? It should have 4.0 tracks at least. The ad on the website says it is only 2.0 tracks as in mono ! Musicals really need @ least stereo. Sometimes they make an error in ads and the back of case. Please check the sound for us, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks