What's new

Universal- Why won't you release SWEET CHARITY? (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
It is one of my all time favourite musicals. I understand that it was not a huge success at the box office (except in Australia). I saw it many times in 70mm. Perhaps Universal underestimate the demand for this amazing film.. It needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Universal probably feel the same about THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE which is also long overdue on bluray. Disney have yet to release THE HAPPIEST MILLIONARE .It is another musical sadly missing on bluray. I am still waiting for THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN to be released on bluray.It is one of the all time greats in musicals. CAN -CAN is another.Sadly there are many more great musicals long overdue on bluray. Meanwhile we have to endure all the junk that they release on bluray ,that few people want to see.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Ken Koc said:
A Blu Ray of SWEET CHARITY is long overdue!!!!

There probably over a thousand movies that are more overdue on Blu-ray than this one, with Warner possessing most of them.

The good news though, is that Universal owns it and not Warner (although best case scenario would be that it were an MGM movie).

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
bruceames said:
There probably over a thousand movies that are more overdue on Blu-ray than this one, with Warner possessing most of them.

The good news though, is that Universal owns it and not Warner (although best case scenario would be that it were an MGM movie).
I think it might be worst that Universal ownes it rather than Warner.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
trajan said:
I think it might be worst that Universal ownes it rather than Warner.

Nah, it means it's far more likely to get released because Universal's unreleased catalog is not nearly as rich and deep as Warner's.

For Warner, it's like having Sweet Charity get in line for the Disneyland Space Mountain ride on a Saturday afternoon, while with Universal it's like getting in the Casey Jr. Circus Train line.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I caved and bought Sweet Charity on DVD this week, so expect to see a Blu-Ray release announcement soon. :) (Happened for Ford Fairlane, after I panic-bought the DVD since it was out of print!)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jesse Skeen said:
I caved and bought Sweet Charity on DVD this week, so expect to see a Blu-Ray release announcement soon. :) (Happened for Ford Fairlane, after I panic-bought the DVD since it was out of print!)

Jesse, thanks for taking one for the team. There should be an announcement any day now. :lol:

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
As was mentioned last week, a pretty recent HD master of this obviously exists. It was on TCM last Friday night and the quality was great. The colour was excellent. There were absolutely no marks that I could see and the clarity was terrific. You could see every freckle on Shirley! Now it is just a matter of getting it out there on blu.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Ed Lachmann said:
Or, why hasn't your legendary ghost story masterpiece, THE UNINVITED, ever been released on DVD (much less BD) here in the States.

Criterion did release it in 2013.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Matt Hough said:
Universal is sitting on three big color musicals from the 1960s that I'd love to have on Blu-ray: Flower Drum Song, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Sweet Charity.

(And we won't even talk about all those Deanna Durbin classics and Donald O'Connor B-musicals from the 1940s.)
As a Cagney completeist I would add "Never Steal Anything Small" with Cagney & Shirley Jones. It's not a very good movie but I would like it in widescreen nonetheless. They could pad out the disk with Cagney tv appearances from the late 50's/early 80's from the NBC/Universal archives.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Eric Vedowski said:
As a Cagney completeist I would add "Never Steal Anything Small" with Cagney & Shirley Jones.

So would I! (Why is this film missing?)

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I'm sure it won't be long. I hope they give us all the different endings. And yes to THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE as well. And I'd love to see THE HINDENBURG, too. One of my favorites.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
bruceames said:

At least Pinewood (UK) restored the original super technirama 70 negative of 55 DAYS AT PEKING. The bluray has been available in France for some time and is now available in the UK. It has been getting rave reviews for it's stunning quality.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
An Airport box set would make me a best friend to Universal. How many of them got extended-for-TV cuts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks