What's new

Universal: War 10-Movie Collection (unreleased titles!) 06/04 (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Crawford said:
Remember, Jet Pilot will not be in its OAR.
I'm crossing my fingers that Jet Pilot somehow ends up academy ratio in this re-release, though it's probably not going to happen.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Wake Island, To Hell and Back and Battle Hymn are also on a Universal "Four-Movie Marathon: Classic War Collection" released in 2011. Jet Pilot was released on a Universal "John Wayne - An American Icon Collection" in 2006 in which it is Widescreen on that collection. Since Bengal Birgade and In Enemy Country were produced by Universal Pictures I really hope they are good quality.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
battlebeast said:
It has, but only in low budget versions. I'm gonna pick up this set just for that title!
Universal released it a couple of times on DVD that I wouldn't call low budget versions.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
the only dvd release that was supposedly considered low budget was raid on rommel which was released a number of years ago along with away all boats by GOODTIMES video.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Just as an FYI, I picked up the 10 Westerns Collection a week ago or so and those 10 movies were jammed onto 3 discs. The first disc holding 4 movies, the other 2 holding 3. To say that the bitrates were low would be an understatement. To put it in perspective, the average dual-layer disc is considered to be good for about 3.5 hours of video at a nice healthy bitrate. Disc 1 with the 4 westerns runs 5.5 hours. The quality doesn't quite sink to the Mill Creek/Echo Bridge level, but it is noticably lower than we're typically used to from the majors.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
^ This was the nature of my question on the previous page.
Which were the titles found on the first disc?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Mike*HTF said:
^ This was the nature of my question on the previous page.
Which were the titles found on the first disc?
Sorry for the slow response. The first disc consisted of When the Daltons Rode / Texas Rangers Ride Again / The Spoilers (1942) / The Virginian (1946) for a total running time of about 5 hours and 26 minutes.

The second disc consisted of Albuquerque / Whispering Smith / Comanche Territory for a total running time of about 4 hours and 14 minutes.

The third disc consisted of Sierra / Kansas Raiders / Tomahawk for a total running time of about 4 hours and 5 minutes.

As you can tell, all three discs are going to have to be aggressively compressed just to fit the total running time, some more than others. The result is predictably more mpeg compression artifacts strewn throughout the features. Naturally, the bigger the display, the more distracting this becomes.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Yes, back in 2004. I have six of those titles already on DVD so I won't be picking this one up. Remember, Jet Pilot will not be in its OAR.

Hi Robert,

Are you 100% sure that Jet Pilot is wide screen? I just read an Amazon review, and they mentioned it was full screen. Sure be nice to finally get this on DVD in its correct aspect ratio. I could retire my LD version at last!

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Hi Robert,

Are you 100% sure that Jet Pilot is wide screen? I just read an Amazon review, and they mentioned it was full screen. Sure be nice to finally get this on DVD in its correct aspect ratio. I could retire my LD version at last!

Hi
I just checked my copy and "Jet Pilot" is 1.85.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks