What's new

Universal: War 10-Movie Collection (unreleased titles!) 06/04 (1 Viewer)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
According to The Digital Bits Universal is releasing a 10 movie War collection on 06/04 that will include the following titles:

The Eagle and the Hawk, To Hell and Back, In Enemy Country, The Last Outpost, Battle Hymn, Raid on Rommel, Wake Island, Jet Pilot, Ulzana’s Raid and Bengal Brigade.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/032513_1400

On Amazon you can preorder it for 10 bucks at the moment.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I did a little looking around when I saw this announcement and I found that two of the titles - In Enemy Country and Bengal Brigade - have never been released before on DVD! Four of the titles - The Eagle and the Hawk, The Last Outpost, Raid on Rommel, & Ulzana's Raid - have been previously been put out as MOD discs.

Bottom line - I'm definitely picking this up when it comes out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only thing stopping me on this...will be how they are done compared to their PAL versions(of which I have them all...of the ones where they exist). The missing ones, for me, won't necessarily sway me to purchase.

But, for those who don't own a region-free DVD player and the desire to buy PAL...this is definitely a no-brainer.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
t1g3r5fan said:
Four of the titles - The Eagle and the Hawk, The Last Outpost, Raid on Rommel, & Ulzana's Raid - have been previously been put out as MOD discs.
Those two did get pressed when the TCM Vault Collection, "Cary Grant - The Early Years" , first came out. Of course they're MOD by now for those that didn't order it back in the day.

Of these, out of the two never before released, I also never bought Raid on Rommel so this is definitely a good deal for me as well. Heck, anyone when considering how much MOD releases for the two new-to-DVD titles would cost in comparison.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
davidHartzog said:
Robert Aldrich's Ulzana's Raid, with Burt Lancaster, came as a pressed dvd.
Technically that one and Raid on Rommel were released on pressed DVD by Good Times Video, but they weren't licensed from Universal and are comparatively inferior transfers.

Speaking of which, curious that Tobruk was left out as I'm sure the majority would have preferred it over Raid on Rommel. Five Graves to Cairo and Counterpoint would have also been a good choices.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
JoHud said:
Five Graves to Cairo and Counterpoint would have also been a good choices.
Especially Counterpoint, haven't seen that ANYWHERE since on TNT in the 80's I think.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a feeling Tobruk was left out...cause there are enough versions of it already out there...that including it in "a set" would have been pointless.

I have two versions of it, both PAL, and one of those two has been US NTSC twice.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Really? As far as I know, the only R1 release of Tobruk was the Universal Vault MOD released last year.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Amazon lists this as 10 films over 3 discs...I wonder if these will be double-sided??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tobruk is an issue to begin with...

Which one?
Peppard or "the other" more realistic one...???

The "other one" has been US distributed. But it was a "blink and you missed it". Widely available if you can buy PAL.

The Peppard one had a very limited 2008 release...and again, blink, you missed it.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Mike*HTF said:
Amazon lists this as 10 films over 3 discs...I wonder if these will be double-sided??
The recently released UNIVERSAL CLASSIC WESTERN 10 movie set was all single sided DVDs.

I can't see ANY reason for complaining about these sets even if a title or two is duplicated. As I said in the DVD-18 thread about the Western set, imagine paying $20 for just one MOD title included in these sets and now getting them for a little over a dollar each. Of course, if you are one of the ones who bought the Universal Vault versions, then I can understand complaining!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard V said:
Hasn't Wake Island also been previously released?
Yes, back in 2004. I have six of those titles already on DVD so I won't be picking this one up. Remember, Jet Pilot will not be in its OAR.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Jet Pilot finished shooting in 1950. Won't this create another Shane-like OAR controversy? Jet Pilot, shot 1.37, but shown wide screen? Which is correct: what audiences first saw in '57, or what von Sternberg directed in '49-50?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bujaki said:
Jet Pilot finished shooting in 1950. Won't this create another Shane-like OAR controversy? Jet Pilot, shot 1.37, but shown wide screen? Which is correct: what audiences first saw in '57, or what von Sternberg directed in '49-50?
It's the same situation in which Jet Pilot should be shown at 1.37:1 ratio as it was filmed.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wasn't the LD Academy ratio? I haven't seen a DVD of this. Is is wide screen?
I do recall seeing a rare 35mm screening of Jet Pilot in NY, Carnegie Hall Cinema I believe, and it was shown flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks