Universal VGA Box

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Joe Spratley, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

Aug 5, 2003
    I saw a universal VGA box yesterday and I am wondering if I can use this to hook up a ps2 to my Infocus X1? The svideo quality is rather poor compared to the component output of the xbox and gamecube. The games I'm trying to play are not in progressive scan.
  2. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Jan 21, 2004
    Is that the Pelican one? If so, I had that one and it fell apart on me. Before it did I got to see the display and it really wasn't that good. If you really want a good image you need to get the Vesa connector from Infocus and the HD cables for the Xbox and gamecube.
    The only problem you will encounter on the X1 is that one input will accept only 480p signals or better, and the s-Video jack will only accept 480i signals or less. Which means you will have a problem seeing certain images, especially the dashboard of the Xbox.

The way around this is to buy not only the Vesa connector but the special, extra pin S-video connector as well. Then you can get a switch box so you can flip betweent the two.
    You can do this either by getting a cheap switch box from radio shack OR buying a dual output component switch.

I posted a picture over at AVS on how I did mine. The 2 output switch will cost you about a hundred & twenty bucks.
    The box I used costs about 20 but I would probably use the dual output box if I had it to do over.
    Here's the dual output box:

Finally, here is the diagram I made to show how I connected mine. It also shows the Vesa and S-video cables you will need regardless of what box you choose.

If you need any help let me know.