1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marcel H., Jan 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce

I think the most likely explanation is that they don't have international distribution rights to all of the films that are on the Archive site. I suspect they would have to create a different website for each country in which they distribute films. Just as an example film X maybe a Warner film, but Universal holds the distribution rights in
    France. So Warner can't sell or market that film in France, as it would violate their agreement with Universal.

Doug

2. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    Thanks Ronald for your input. I have been awaiting your feedback on this very topic.

Does the "them" referenced here refer only to the obscure titles currently being manufactured? If so...well and good. I can understand it from a business perspective. However, it would be hard for a blind man not to see a slippery slope here as well. Not putting the money into restoration, additional special features, etc and still getting a premium for the release vs. paying that additional expense and probably having a lower profit.... hmmmm. Knowing what you and your contacts know... what do you give as the lifespan for pressed media DVD ( or even blu-ray)? 3 years? 5? Its the 1000 pd elephant in the room when this DVD-R topic is brought up that I don't see anyone addressing.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I believe that is the case.

While Warner owns the rights in the US, in other countries, other studios may hold the rights.

Take for example the Laurel and Hardy box set released in the UK recently. It was released by Universal. If Universal UK had a website, they couldn't sell that internationally because someone else owns the rights in this country. They would be open to lawsuits from the US rights holder.

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    All probably true. But certainly Warner knew all this very well when they stated last spring that they expected to have international availability soon. Obviously there must be legitimate reasons they haven't done it, but I can't see any legitimate reasons why they haven't said a single thing about why they can't.

5. Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    Has anyone bought one of these dvds? I'm wondering if this caveat about limited playability (in the Exclusives description) is true:
    This disc is expected to play back in DVD Video "play only" devices, and may not play in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives.

6. ChuckWL

ChuckWL Stunt Coordinator

Chuck
    I have played my Universal Vault titles on my computer DVD and BD drives along with a PS3 and various DVD and BD standalones that I own. They play well in all my equipment (knock on wood).

7. Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    Thanks! I'll give the Vault a crack. Amazon discounts most of them 25% (and free shipping over $25), so it's comparable to the Insiders discount on WB Archives.

8. KathyBeck

KathyBeck Stunt Coordinator

My Universal Vault title, "Ruggles Of Red Gap", plays fine on my computer.

9. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    That may be true for the odd film but not every title. I just think they have their hands full with the domestic market, I don't think they're going to bother with international sales. I don't mind, I can't think of a movie I want badly enough to pay all that money (& I'm thinking of p&p as well) to buy a DVD-R of.

10. ricktech12

ricktech12 Stunt Coordinator

Rick
    If this gets movies out on DVD that are not available for sale right now than I am all for it if they are priced reasonably. Say $10 or so a DVD. If they do sell well enough the studio might even consider an actual silver pressed release. However it's a pure disgrace that A Bronx Tale isn't given an actual DVD release (the HBO snapper is OOP) and people who want it have to settle for an "on demand" studio pressing.

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

12. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

I wanted to pre-order the Cary Grant and Deanna Durbin boxes from TCM/Universal and noticed at the checkout page they had a box for a "TCM web coupon."

Anyone know how to get a "TCM web coupon"?

13. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce
    I think that statement is more of a CYA thing on their part, in case people do have trouble playing them in a computer or other DVD device. I've had no trouble playing them in 3 computers, a PS3, a DVD recorder and a portable DVD player.
    Doug

14. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce
    I bought my first DVD burner in 1999. The first DVD I created in it still works fine. This is not to say that I haven't had some that failed, but I think that was more because I bought cheap media than anything else.

I also have the first DVD I bought in 97 which still works fine.

Doug

15. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce
    error

16. montag

montag Agent

patrick
    Does anybody have an idea as to the release scheduling for the UNIVERSAL VAULT SERIES. Maybe they'll release SAMSON & DELILAH, as it's probably part of the Paramount package.

17. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Paramount owns SAMSON AND DELILAH (1950), but it would be great if Universal brought out THIS DAY AND AGE, NORTHWEST MOUNTED POLICE, and THE STORY OF DR. WASSELL in some manifestation. And hey, Warner Archives where are MADAM SATAN, DYNAMITE, and THE SQUAW MAN?

18. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I would like to see the rest of Cecil B. DeMille's films that Universal owns to make their way to DVD. As far as SAMSON AND DELILAH is concerned, Paramount should also do a set that includes both Buccaneers, along with S&D and a new transfer of THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. Oh hell, make it Blu-ray also and include both TEN COMMANDMENTS. I can dream can't I.

19. ColbyCo82

ColbyCo82 Stunt Coordinator

Steven
    I was hoping that the absense of Madame Satan in the Warner Archive meant that Warners was saving it for a special collection like Forbidden Hollywood.

20. Thaellar

Thaellar Agent

Craig
    I disagree with your first statement. I would definitely pay $5 for a DVD-r and I will pay $10 for a pressed disc. But I will never pay $20 for any DVD. That's a ridiculous price. But my point is...I would buy a lot of classic DVDr for $5 a pop. I completely agree with your assessment that the days of having many classics on pressed discs is gone forever.
    Streaming will be a nightmare. Poor quality, low resolution and we will never own the product for personal viewing. If we want to watch that classic twice, we will have to pay 2 rental fees. What a ripoff. We had better speak with our wallets to make low-price DVDr a reality or we will pay dearly in the future.
    Demand low cost DVDr or we will lose and lose big.
    regards,
    Thaellar