What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (2 Viewers)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
When I saw "The Phantom President" some years ago, I remembered thinking that if I hadn't known any better, I would have thought that Cohan was doing a Cagney impression. While I do know that Cagney was familiar with Cohan's Broadway work, I have to wonder if Cagney viewed this film in preparation for "Yankee Doodle Dandy" because Cohan's dance in the medicine show scene seems to be echoed by Cagney in the later film.

All right Universal, since you're now back in the MOD game, let's see "Professor Beware" (assuming that Criterion hasn't licensed it for a potential Harold Lloyd talkies set), the William Powell Philo Vance films, "Paramount on Parade," the Clara Bow talkies, and all of those Universal silents that you've restored over the past few years ("The Last Moment," "The Man Who Laughs," etc.).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm going to order Six Bridges To Cross so Universal Vault owes Stephen Bowie a sales commission! :)

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
Since Universal has now begun releasing movies again to the Vault Series, I would like to let Universal know on this day (7/17) which is the birthdate of James Cagney. They should think about releasing Never Steal Anything Small as next year will be the 60th anniversary of the release of that film (February, 1959). If anyone knows how to pass this info on to Universal, please do.
Never Steal Anything Small.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Since Universal has now begun releasing movies again to the Vault Series, I would like to let Universal know on this day (7/17) which is the birthdate of James Cagney. They should think about releasing Never Steal Anything Small as next year will be the 60th anniversary of the release of that film (February, 1959). If anyone knows how to pass this info on to Universal, please do.
View attachment 47832
As Kino has a new deal with Universal, you might try your luck in the Kino Blu-ray thread. I'd jump for any decent disc of this film, DVD or Blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I stumbled across a new batch, including a lot of Claudette Colbert and some sought-after '30s Paramounts, that was released last month:

Fast and Loose (1930)
Honor Among Lovers (1931)
The Phantom President (1932)
The Misleading Lady (1932)
She Loves Me Not (1934)
Private Worlds (1935)
The Jungle Princess (1936)
Zaza (1938)
Six Bridges to Cross (1955)
Boom! (1968)

I think that's it, although I had to compile it by sifting through Amazon recommendations. As far as I can tell, not a single mainstream or home video outlet has reported these. A far cry from the good old days. If anyone gets them, please report back on image quality.

I notice that only Amazon seems to be stocking these discs. None of the other on-line vendors lists them so is this an Amazon exclusive?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I notice that only Amazon seems to be stocking these discs. None of the other on-line vendors lists them so is this an Amazon exclusive?

Universal doesn't produce the discs, Amazon does from files supplied by Universal. In theory, Universal could make a similar arrangement with other vendors with that capability if they desired.

Amazon also makes the Warner Archive discs they sell, i.e., they don't stock and sell the copies Warner itself makes. That's why the occasional sets that WA initially releases replicated (pressed) come as burned DVD-r when you buy from Amazon.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Universal doesn't produce the discs, Amazon does from files supplied by Universal. In theory, Universal could make a similar arrangement with other vendors with that capability if they desired.

Amazon also makes the Warner Archive discs they sell, i.e., they don't stock and sell the copies Warner itself makes. That's why the occasional sets that WA initially releases replicated (pressed) come as burned DVD-r when you buy from Amazon.
I didn't know that. Thank you.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
So does Amazon have any say on what titles get released (and how often) or are they at Universal's mercy?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
So does Amazon have any say on what titles get released (and how often) or are they at Universal's mercy?

No doubt Amazon has the clout to set what their cut is, so I'm sure they couldn't care less. This burn-on-demand sales system is a standard thing they offer.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
THE DESERT HAWK (1950) now available at Amazon.

91QnLOn-GrL._SL1500_.jpg

How did you spot it? It used to be the case that entering "Universal Vault" in the Amazon search window would pull up the latest Vault releases but it doesn't pull this up(?) I'm trying to determine if there are any other new releases(?)

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
How did you spot it?

A periodic "Stooges" search with Joe Besser. The Region 2 DESERT HAWK showed up, but it had a 2nd DVD availability covered by Amazon Prime. Seemed unusual, and clicking on that, it turned out to be Universal Vault.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
There's some kind of coding error. I'm getting combing throughout.

Now having watched all of it, it's clearly going too fast, with high pitched voices a la PAL. The disc running time is about 4% shorter than the film should be. Sounds like it's a PAL transfer reencoded to NTSC or something.

Replace1234

Agent
Real Name
Nicky Aiuto
How and where can I make request for certain titles to be released on DVD on demand? What link or source please? Please respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks