What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm sorry that Universal seem to have put a halt to this series. There are still so many Universal "programmers" of the 1950s that I want to see. Just yesterday I saw a photo which reminded me of a MIA Tony Curtis film: The All American.

All American, The.jpg

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I don't mean to gratuitously harangue Universal's home media dept. but if they had any marketing savvy they'd try to iron out whatever rights entanglements are keeping them from releasing this:

the-girl-in-the-kremlin-the-girl-in-the-kremlin-1957-usa-maurice-manson-B83AWX.jpg

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
It would make me (Shirley Jones fan) and my best friend (James Cagney fan) very happy if Universal would please release:

Never Steal Anything Small.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It would make me (Shirley Jones fan) and my best friend (James Cagney fan) very happy if Universal would please release:

View attachment 40881

That would make me very happy too. I have an off-air recording onto VHS which I've copied onto a DVD-R but, of course, it's of appalling quality: pan-and-scan plus VHS!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I just read the rave review of the 1933 Universal film ONLY YESTERDAY in the latest New Yorker. Now hoping
someone from Universal will read this and maybe issue a DVD-r. It sounds like a true gem.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I just read the rave review of the 1933 Universal film ONLY YESTERDAY in the latest New Yorker. Now hoping
someone from Universal will read this and maybe issue a DVD-r. It sounds like a true gem.
Margaret Sullavan's first film, directed by John M. Stahl. I loved this film when I saw it a lifetime ago, and fell in love with Sullavan's performance (and that voice!). It reminded me of the latter Letter from an Unknown Woman. I'd love to see it again, so a DVD-r would be most welcome.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
More than a year has gone by without any new releases (Nov. 23, 2016 was the last update). I wouldn't hold my breath regarding a revival. The Warner Archive is the only company still putting effort into its MOD program. (February saw the most recent Sony Choice Blus.)

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
More than a year has gone by without any new releases (Nov. 23, 2016 was the last update). I wouldn't hold my breath regarding a revival. The Warner Archive is the only company still putting effort into its MOD program. (February saw the most recent Sony Choice Blus.)

It would be really nice if Twilight Time would make a deal with Universal to release many of their 50's and 60's titles.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It would be really nice if Twilight Time would make a deal with Universal to release many of their 50's and 60's titles.

It takes two to tango and two to make a deal. I'm sure Twilight Time would be happy to release Blu-ray discs based on high quality masters of Universal-owned titles. Unfortunately very few high quality masters are created by Universal.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
I stumbled across a new batch, including a lot of Claudette Colbert and some sought-after '30s Paramounts, that was released last month:

Fast and Loose (1930)
Honor Among Lovers (1931)
The Phantom President (1932)
The Misleading Lady (1932)
She Loves Me Not (1934)
Private Worlds (1935)
The Jungle Princess (1936)
Zaza (1938)
Six Bridges to Cross (1955)
Boom! (1968)

I think that's it, although I had to compile it by sifting through Amazon recommendations. As far as I can tell, not a single mainstream or home video outlet has reported these. A far cry from the good old days. If anyone gets them, please report back on image quality.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I stumbled across a new batch, including a lot of Claudette Colbert and some sought-after '30s Paramounts, that was released last month:

Fast and Loose (1930)
She Loves Me Not (1934)
Private Worlds (1935)
Zaza (1938)
Boom! (1968)

I think that's it, although I had to compile it by sifting through Amazon recommendations. As far as I can tell, not a single mainstream or home video outlet has reported these. A far cry from the good old days. If anyone gets them, please report back on image quality.

Thanks for posting this Stephen. I guess the Universal Vault folks are in the Witness Protection Bureau.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, thanks. Boom! is bust but maybe the other, better Elizabeth Taylor-Joseph Losey collaboration from Universal in 1968, Secret Ceremony, will surface.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Fast and Loose (1930)
She Loves Me Not (1934)
Private Worlds (1935)
Zaza (1938)
Boom! (1968)

Thanks for doing the research and reporting these. I'd like to have some of them, so I'll check out prices and availability thanks to you!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
My copy of Boom! arrived a few weeks ago. I haven't watched it in its entirety, but it's definitely an older master.

I'm hoping for Secret Ceremony as well. The UK release wasn't anamorphic.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp

Fast and Loose (1930)
She Loves Me Not (1934)
Private Worlds (1935)
Zaza (1938)
Boom! (1968)

THE JUNGLE PRINCESS...wow!!! I've been wanting to see Dorothy Lamour's "sarong" movies, especially the four subsequent ones, 1938-42, which were all in Technicolor (HER JUNGLE LOVE, TYPHOON, ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS, BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON). They never came on TV when I was growing up and never played at revival theaters in New York.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'm particularly happy about "The Jungle Princess" (1936), a highly entertaining film. I can now ditch my old 16mm-sourced copy. I love all those Lamour sarong pics. Although, that last one, "Rainbow Island" (1944) is pretty dumb. Never understood why these films, which used to be such favorites amongst film buffs, seemed to disappear so thoroughly into the woodwork these past few decades.

Also good to see Claudette Colbert get her due. I've seen "The Phantom President" (1932), ages ago, but I frankly don't remember a thing about it. Colbert is quite fetching in "The Misleading Lady" (1932), although the film loses steam during its second half. I don't think I've seen the others. "Private Worlds" (1935) has a great cast, and it used to pop up on tv long ago, but I never caught it. Anyway, it's great news that the Universal Vault series turns out not to be dead. Gives me a thread of hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks