What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And I picked up a few :) There are some that sound interesting but I hate to blind buy for 20.00.
I really dont have a problem with MOD, as the PQ is perfectly fine. Some of these titles may never get HD releases either :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
WARNING:

I have now been sent two copies of the Vault series release of THE BIG FIX with Richard Dreyfuss from Amazon. Both copies break up into a big digital mess before freezing at approx.15 minutes in on both my players, and my computer won't even read it. Amazon decided to pull the title from sale after I reported the second copy problem, although it can be had elsewhere. I did call Universal Entertainment and left a call-back number. I am sure this is an exception to the general quality of Vault MOD copies -- the first title of theirs I've had trouble with out of a dozen or so.

Hopefully this problem will be corrected, because I really like this film and had been hoping for its release for years. Has anyone bought a copy of this that actually plays through?

The good news is that Amazon took great care of me. They did not require me to send back either copy (although there isn't much I can do with them); they gave me a warp-speed refund, plus $5.00 electronic gift card for the inconvenience and a lengthy letter apologizing all over the place. Not their fault, of course, but they offer superb customer service.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I recall Universal replacing a defective MOD master of Curtis Harrington's GAMES (1967), so I'm sure that they will fix their master if it's flawed.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
WARNING:

I have now been sent two copies of the Vault series release of THE BIG FIX with Richard Dreyfuss from Amazon. Both copies break up into a big digital mess before freezing at approx.15 minutes in on both my players, and my computer won't even read it. Amazon decided to pull the title from sale after I reported the second copy problem, although it can be had elsewhere. I did call Universal Entertainment and left a call-back number. I am sure this is an exception to the general quality of Vault MOD copies -- the first title of theirs I've had trouble with out of a dozen or so.

Hopefully this problem will be corrected, because I really like this film and had been hoping for its release for years. Has anyone bought a copy of this that actually plays through?

The good news is that Amazon took great care of me. They did not require me to send back either copy (although there isn't much I can do with them); they gave me a warp-speed refund, plus $5.00 electronic gift card for the inconvenience and a lengthy letter apologizing all over the place. Not their fault, of course, but they offer superb customer service.

That's good to hear. That said my copy played fine upon receipt, and I checked it again and it's still OK on my Samsung. But these things can happen.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
DVD Beaver reviewed a few last month. I can tell you that ANOTHER PART OF THE FOREST is good, as is RETURN OF THE MUSKETEERS, which is OAR 16:9. No subtitles, trailers, or other bonuses.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The noirs Abandoned and The Sleeping City have excellent elements and transfers, but the audio on both is very bass-shy.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
In the 1954 Universal-International remade their very successful Marlene Dietrich/James Stewart film Destry Rides Again. They hired the same director, cast Audie Murphy in the lead and abbreviated the title to merely Destry.

Apart from being part of an expensive German box-set, Destry seems not to have appeared on disc. Does anyone have any theory why this should be the case? It seems a natural for the Universal Vault series. A couple of bootleggers have uploaded totally appalling videos of this film to YouTube, but the quality is so awful they're unwatchable.

My interest is mainly to hear the original rendition of the song Empty Arms which I know from Imitation Of Life where Susan Kohner lip-synched to Jo Ann Greer's vocal.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
With the recent passing of Harry Dean Stanton i hope Universal will release UFOria (1985) which was never released on dvd and one of the few vhs tapes i still have.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Are they doing any further releases ? I was hoping for Among the Living with Albert Dekker :)

I've been pining for years and years over on another board trafficked by people with friends at Universal, only to be told to forget it. I don't know what happened to the Universal-owned classic Paramount horrors like Among the Living, The Mad Doctor and Man in Half Moon Street, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nor am I holding my breath for Universal to rev its Vault series back up. I'm afraid it's moribund.... or, to put it bluntly, D-E-A-D. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks