What's new

Universal TV titles unstalled on Region 2 (UK) DVD? (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The assumption is that a few Universal TV titles are being unstalled on Region 2 (UK) DVD. Recently, several listings have been added to the BBFC's website, although the release dates don't make any sense (the year on the listing could be the year each season started or the year the season started and finished. Haven't checked the listing page for every episode added to the BBFC website), for a few Universal TV titles whose season DVD set releases were stalled in the UK a few years ago:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (stalled after the third season)In Plain Sight (stalled after the second season)Law & Order (stalled after the seventh season)Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (stalled after the tenth season)Law & Order: Criminal Intent (stalled after the fifth season)The Rockford Files (stalled after the fifth season)Sliders (stalled after the fourth season).Have checked the BBFC website and it appears listings for all the episodes from Seasons 8-14 of Law & Order have been added to the BBFC website, the 11th season of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, episodes from Law & Order: Criminal Intent's seventh to tenth seasons (so the assumption is the remaining five seasons will be unstalled on UK DVD), the remaining three seasons of In Plain Sight, the sixth (and final) season of The Rockford Files, the fourth season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and an episode from the fifth (and final) season of Sliders.Haven't found any listings yet on Amazon UK for all these seasons. I'm guessing that if DVD releases are happening, then they won't get released until early next year. It's a pity Universal Pictures (UK) hadn't released Quincy, M.E.'s third season themselves, then the chances of further seasons being released on DVD in the UK would be better (Acorn Media UK released the third season, but there haven't been further DVD releases since).

Wezzo

Second Unit
I've spotted this too. Good news. There's also a few random season ones too - Whitney, Up All Night. Hoping this is going to pave the way for a reasonably-priced complete Law & Order set here.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The BBFC have added a listing to their website this week for the eighth season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Could only see 15 episodes listed. Assuming that the episode "The Glory That Was..." has not been submitted to the BBFC.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The BBFC added a listing to it's website today for the first episode of the fifth season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, so I assume Universal Pictures (UK) are releasing both the fourth and fifth seasons at the moment. Listings were also added today for two episodes from the first season of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Part of me is thinking that it's something to do with streaming or downloading, and not a physical media DVD release.The BBFC added a listing to it's website today for an episode from the second season of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, so at least the first two seasons of that show are being released (hopefully as a DVD set).

Wezzo

Second Unit
BBFC list streaming-only certificates differently.

All of these listings say "The version of this work detailed above is rated by the BBFC under the Video Recordings Act 1984 for use on any Packaged Media format (including DVD, Blu-ray and VHS). This classification may also be used when the same work is made available on Digital Video Platforms (including Video On Demand) provided that the platform is licenced to use BBFC ratings."

Internet-only listings say "The version of this work detailed above is rated by the BBFC for use on Digital Video Platforms (incl. Video On Demand) that are licenced to carry BBFC ratings. It is not a classification under the Video Recordings Act 1984 for use on Packaged Media formats (including DVD, Blu-ray and VHS). Other versions of this work may have been rated by the BBFC under the Video Recordings Act"

I imagine Uni wouldn't be paying more for the packaged media classification if they weren't going to release them.. well, I hope!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
youworkmen said:
Don't forget the Region 2 France dvd release for The Gemini Man

If you check the thread title you'll see that I stated "Region 2 (UK) DVD", so I was posting about only Region 2 DVD releases in the UK and not other Region 2 countries like France.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
WaveCrest said:
If you check the thread title you'll see that I stated "Region 2 (UK) DVD", so I was posting about only Region 2 DVD releases in the UK and not other Region 2 countries like France.
Yes but as the thread is about Universal titles and the only place The Gemini Man is out on dvd is France it was worth mentioning

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
youworkmen said:
Yes but as the thread is about Universal titles and the only place The Gemini Man is out on dvd is France it was worth mentioning

There is I think already a thread where The Gemini Man is being posted about.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
WaveCrest said:
There is I think already a thread where The Gemini Man is being posted about.
Probably but I don't know .
Even though it's not a UK release it seemed a good idea to mention it in a thread about Universal tv series.
It's a 99% English friendly release so should be of interest to Region 2 dvd buyers.

In general Universal seem to have little to no interest in releasing much of their own material preferring to licence it out hence various tv shows released by independents in different countries making wide availability a bit of a problem.

They seem equally uninterested in releasing many of their classic movies on Bluray with these also licenced out.

Not sure if its a Universal title but The Rockford Files appears this week on BBC2 and in HD . Bluray recorders at the ready

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The first season of Ironside was released on DVD in the UK by Anchor Bay many years ago, but they haven't released any further seasons since. This title I hope Universal resume on DVD in the UK.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Listings were added to the BBFC website today for episodes from the third (and final) season of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, and a listing for an episode from the second (and final) season of Amazing Stories.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Listings have been added to the BBFC website this week for Law & Order: SVU's twelfth season, the third to fifth seasons of McMillan & Wife and McMillan (aka the sixth season).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Pre-order listings have been added on Amazon UK for Alfred Hitchcock Presents seasons 4-7. The release date stated is Monday 26th October (subject to change). Fabulous Films' UK branch are releasing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks